Avoiding Hugs

Hi All,

I'm newly diagnosed with Autism. One thing that has come up a few times in my thoughts is I can now kind of avoid hugs with people I don't know very well (to be honest that feels like most people I see on a regular basis!)

I used to go along with it if someone initiated it even though I hated it but now I don't think I need to anymore. Does anyone have a way of avoiding hugs causing as little fuss as possible as I've noticed people seem to get offended if you don't want them touching you.

Sorry, I'm sure there's no right answer I'm just looking for tips / how others do it.

Eyes

Parents
  • I like hugs, and they are so rare in my life (I would never presume to initiate one and the right circumstances are aeons apart) that I wish was more in the moment when they occur instead of being self conscious about how well I’m hugging back - too much, too little? Sufficiently relaxed? 

None of my family were huggers growing up. Still aren’t. It never occurred to me how common that otherwise is in other households and social groups.

But.. mutually initiated fond IRL hug with a friend for instance… I do like them, but years could pass between such an event (in my case anyway) and I never like to presume I haven’t had my last hug. 

• I like hugs, and they are so rare in my life (I would never presume to initiate one and the right circumstances are aeons apart) that I wish was more in the moment when they occur instead of being self conscious about how well I’m hugging back - too much, too little? Sufficiently relaxed? 

None of my family were huggers growing up. Still aren’t. It never occurred to me how common that otherwise is in other households and social groups.

But.. mutually initiated fond IRL hug with a friend for instance… I do like them, but years could pass between such an event (in my case anyway) and I never like to presume I haven’t had my last hug. 

Children
  • I like hugs too, but I think it is partly because I am very tactile. As I hug I often think about the texture (and sometimes smell) of the clothes the hugger is wearing. Also after having a lot of rejection in my life, I see a hug as a form of acceptance.

However I am very wary about initiating a hug, as I find it difficult to understand when it is appropriate.