Diagnosis without Parental input.

Been on the waiting list for diagnosis for a while now and still processing a lot of my life.

I approached my mother and told her how I had always felt different and told her that I had finally worked out why I’m different. The autistic bomb wasn’t well received,  I was told,”autistic people don’t talk and stare at the wall all day.” Since then I approached my GP and got referred, I asked my mother for old school reports, they couldn’t be found, my English Books were supplied to show how I’m totally normal. I started to read the first one today, my childhood was unusual, I am the eldest of 3 and my mother was often ‘sectioned,” I often had to deal with everyday life. The picture shows my wardrobe, my safe place, the picture on the wall is, “Home Sweet Home.”  My father did his best but I think he was autistic, he just worked and couldn’t deal with home life, my pillow shows Pound signs across it and me being beaten for being different or unruly . My bedroom door didn’t have a door handle, it just had a bolt across it. The extracts are from my first year in Secondary School, the teacher asked for a poem that described me.   The poem is by Lewis Carroll. Another page in my English book is me writing my Last Will and Testament, my teacher gave me a red tick, I’m still processing that.

Parents
  • Well, diagnosis is certainly possible without parental input. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

But oh wow! I'm hurting for you reading your English extracts there. And definately, your assessors need to see them.

• Thank you, I’ve been processing autism since 2021, I still feel like a fraud but know I’m autistic, if that makes sense?

Im 55 and still walk on tiptoe without shoes, 

Reply Children
  • I get it. I was 56 when I got mine.

I was shocked when I realised I could be autistic, but kinda knew what the outcome would be by the time I got to my assessment.

Until a clinical psychologist validates that you do worry about the "fraud" thing. A bit of imposter syndrome is sort of normal.

Try and relax into the process and just be you. A good assessor will see what's truely there.