What's gender?

A discussion in this forum made me ask myself this question, what's gender?. I googled it but what I found there didn't make much sense to me. I always thought that the gender of the other person doesn't tell me much about who they are. It just informs me about the appropriate pronouns that this person wants me to use with them. Frankly I don't care about figuring out my gender. I was born in a woman's body and I never felt like it's the wrong one. I think I'd feel the same if I was born in a man's body. I have never spent time thinking about this part of myself because I never thought that it's important enough to me. I'll be the same person anyway, no? I don't think it would change much about who I am... Can anyone share how they understand gender?

Parents Reply
  • i dont mind what anyone calls me, for all they know i might not even exist, i am but mere text on your screen as far as everyone knows.

and as i said i dont tell people what language or words they can use, they can call me anything they want and i can call them anything they want.

its their language, how they use their own language makes up who they are not who i am. it could be their quirky personality that makes them call what they percieve as a man a she... or they could perhaps not use pronouns at all and be like the yorkshire folk and call everyone "me duck" or "ol mucker" or whatever. doesnt offend me, its just who they are. if you know the intention isnt hostile or mean then theres no problems i guess....

ofcourse if they make out their intent in their words was hostile it might perhaps change things, but thats tricky as you have to work out whether they are intending hostility. and its only a issue not because of the words but because any hostile intent or venom in their words is often a precursor to a physical action against you so it then puts you on edge for a action. often youd have to hear the tone of how one says it though but its usually hard, and often assuming and trying to spot hostility you often can get it wrong and then get defensive and think wrong things about the person and end up being hostile back when they wasnt intending hostility. so its pretty hard really, its impossible on words on a screen though as you dont have their tone and how they say it to aid identifying if its hostile or not, which is why alot of internet arguments happen as none hostile things get taken for hostile.

Children