What does the forum mean to you?

I joined here around 5 months ago.

Since that time it's come to mean different things to me.

I think sharing experiences is invaluable but equally invaluable is the honesty I find here.

It's a place where we can talk about shared experience /our emotions/difficulties in a way that's impossible in the 'real' world - or at least if we speak about it there, it's unlikely to be understood.

It's a place to connect in a world where we often find connecting difficult.

I've received some PMs recently that have made me focus more on how very important this community can be to us as individuals.

Luna RIP called this her 'forum family'.

As a person who doesn't seek friendship (?or thinks she doesn't?), some surprising and valuable friendships have evolved from here for me.

How about you?

• I had the epiphany of,” sh*t I think I’m autistic,” I Googled NAS and did the, “ looking for advice, I think I’m autistic.” I didn’t think much would come of it, if I’m honest I had the stereotypical view of autism, I’m not like them really, I don’t have special needs. That was Nov. 2021. How wrong I was, there are loads of people who are just like me. I found it so strange, I’m not the only person on the planet who functions like me. To be honest I’ve never had a place where I can ask any question I want to. I don’t think I would still be in this world without the friendship and understanding I have found in this group. I’m now an autistic person who can function to a degree. It turns out I was looking at special needs in the wrong way, I have needs that with the help of you good people, have been explained to me in so many different ways. I understand myself so much more now and with adjustments can be me. To know finally that I’m not mad or bad is everything.

• It is normally a safe and helpful space for everyone to learn and exchange ideas and thoughts.  There did seem to be a few argumentative people around a few years ago but they seem to have gone now.

• I came here to raise an autistic army to establish an Autistocracy that would rule the NT's with an iron fist, but to be fair I've not got much traction, yet.

• I was pretty shy and reserved about saying that I wasn't formally diagnosed when I first joined this place.  It is interesting to me that so many of us, in recent days and in various threads seem to be "outing" ourselves in this regard.  I thought almost everyone here that has been around for a while was likely a formalised and  bone fide dx.  It now appears that this is not the case?

Look at us all being loud and proud!

• I joined about 2 years ago to ask the “should I get diagnosed?” question and I’ve not really left since for some reason, I guess I am feeling connected as well. Still no diagnosis though!

• It's a place to connect in a world where we often find connecting difficult.

I completely agree.

I think sharing experiences is invaluable but equally invaluable is the honesty I find

Yes exactly, we can learn so much from each other by sharing our lived autistic experience.

• Great discussion. This autistic community is so positive and meaningful for me, for these reasons below:

• Belonging and a connection with my neurokin that I have never felt before.
    • Intuitive understanding of each other, other autistics just ‘get it’.
    • a space to be ‘heard’ and validated even when that is not possible in the ‘real’ world.
    • Certainty - even if everything feels unpredictable and overwhelming, there will always be an autistic community online.
    • The mini essays we write to each other, sharing our autistic culture.
    • Observations of predominantly neurotypical interactions - it is very useful to come on to this forum and talk about our interactions with other neurotypes.
    • Sharing knowledge/resources and lived experiences - I have learnt so much about what it means to be autistic thanks to my neurokin.

I could list more but it would be never ending!

• I agree with a lot of what you've written. I do have a blog where I write about some of the things we talk about here and I get empathetic responses, but my readers there are mostly allistic and don't always understand fully what I mean. I do also feel an "intersectionality" in my life, that my autistic identity intersects with my Jewish identity in ways that are hard to explain to someone who doesn't have both identities. I haven't really got a place to talk about that.

I don't know that I've made friends here, although I would like to. I do think I should start friending people here, but I'm scared of rejection or bothering people who aren't interested in being friends with me, particularly as one friend response I made got ignored (or, charitably, didn't sent properly or they had their own anxiety that stopped them responding).

• Who the hell are you?!  (INSERT warm, ironic wink of welcome to Jamie emoji)

• In the real world i am like marmite. Except marmite full of razor blades. Most avoid me like the plague.

Oh yes - c'est moi !  or if there are any English speakers here - ab so clucking lutely mate, me too!

• Recently (as in right now), and in the past, this forum, or rather the people in it, have been a safety net, and a safe place where I've been able to talk about things I never could in the real world.

• I've been here less than a week but feel at home Slight smile

• The purpose of this forum has changed for me also. 

I originally came here when i got my diagnosis. My aim was to just ask some questions and seek some advice from others in my situation. I didnt expect or intend to feel any sort of 'connection'. 

I silently surfed for a bit before dipping my toes in so to speak. Over time i found that i would see the same names often, and could almost get a sense of different personalities in the responses. 

I realised that i was starting to enjoy people here. 

For me one of the best things is that we all have struggles under a big umbrella. Although no two people are exactly the same, we can all draw on our own experiences to find empathy. 

I have been accused of being melodramatic my whole life, and to an extent i guess i am. What people here understand that is often not understood by the 'muggles', is that however extreme a persons reaction may be, to them it is very real. Personally i fall down at strong emotions. I always have. I have never yet learned how to cope with them. This has led me to find ways of dealing with them that people here have never lectured or scolded me over. 

Basically i feel accepted for being me, a rarity to say the least. 

I mirror the surprising but valuable friendships you speak of. That was never my aim, but here i am caring about people i will probably never meet in the flesh. 

This community to me represents safety and support, and acceptance. In the real world i am like marmite. Except marmite full of razor blades. Most avoid me like the plague. Here, i find people are warm towards me. 

Sorry i thing i may have rambled long enough. 

Have a great day family. 

Love, love and love.