What does the forum mean to you?

I joined here around 5 months ago.

Since that time it's come to mean different things to me.

I think sharing experiences is invaluable but equally invaluable is the honesty I find here.

It's a place where we can talk about shared experience /our emotions/difficulties in a way that's impossible in the 'real' world - or at least if we speak about it there, it's unlikely to be understood.

It's a place to connect in a world where we often find connecting difficult.

I've received some PMs recently that have made me focus more on how very important this community can be to us as individuals.

Luna RIP called this her 'forum family'.

As a person who doesn't seek friendship (?or thinks she doesn't?), some surprising and valuable friendships have evolved from here for me.

How about you?

Parents
  • Great discussion. This autistic community is so positive and meaningful for me, for these reasons below:

• Belonging and a connection with my neurokin that I have never felt before.
    • Intuitive understanding of each other, other autistics just ‘get it’.
    • a space to be ‘heard’ and validated even when that is not possible in the ‘real’ world.
    • Certainty - even if everything feels unpredictable and overwhelming, there will always be an autistic community online.
    • The mini essays we write to each other, sharing our autistic culture.
    • Observations of predominantly neurotypical interactions - it is very useful to come on to this forum and talk about our interactions with other neurotypes.
    • Sharing knowledge/resources and lived experiences - I have learnt so much about what it means to be autistic thanks to my neurokin.

I could list more but it would be never ending!

• Great discussion. This autistic community is so positive and meaningful for me, for these reasons below:

• Belonging and a connection with my neurokin that I have never felt before.
    • Intuitive understanding of each other, other autistics just ‘get it’.
    • a space to be ‘heard’ and validated even when that is not possible in the ‘real’ world.
    • Certainty - even if everything feels unpredictable and overwhelming, there will always be an autistic community online.
    • The mini essays we write to each other, sharing our autistic culture.
    • Observations of predominantly neurotypical interactions - it is very useful to come on to this forum and talk about our interactions with other neurotypes.
    • Sharing knowledge/resources and lived experiences - I have learnt so much about what it means to be autistic thanks to my neurokin.

I could list more but it would be never ending!

Children
No Data