Are there things you just 'don't get' in life? (as in understand the rules of)

Thanks to  in another thread (root beer) I've been thinking of the many things I've just 'not got' and done wrong.

Usually the clue that I'm not 'getting it' is the look of wonder on the faces of other people.

I'm suspecting now this may be autism related.

There are countless examples during my life but here a few.

McDonalds: I don't really understand McDonalds and I don't spend time in them without another person.

My mum used to like them so I'd take her there for lunch sometimes.

One of the 1st times she asked me to collect a menu for her and some cutlery.

I couldn't understand why these weren't on the table.

So, I went to the counter and asked for these things.

After this initial trauma, I then had the trauma of trying to understand what you are supposed to eat off of and with.

Doh.

McDonalds is a particular thing with me I think.

I was with my autistic friend on our way back from visiting his mother and we went to a McD.

He asked me to get him a 'root beer'.

So, I asked for such at the counter only to be asked what that is.

I said 'I don't know' so no root beer was presented to my friend.

Doh.

Another prime example is going to a spa and swimming baths in a hotel.

I'm not a swimmer or a spa goer.

So, the 1st thing I did was put my make-up on before going there.

Then, I couldn't understand how the lockers worked and had to get assistance.

Then, I eventually found the toilets but couldn't find my way back to the swimming pool so I walked through reception soaking wet in my swimming costume.

I was also in a church once when a service began and loads of people sat around me.

I had gone in there because I was in a strange city and cold and was using the church as a refuge.

I thought I could just sit there whilst the service took place.

I hadn't anticipated communion and although I'm not a Catholic or a church goer, and although I didn't understand what I was doing, I felt obliged to follow everyone up and take communion. 

There are so many examples I won't continue.

Is it just me or are there other people here who just don't 'get it?'.

• Holidays in Spain are ingrained in the British 'Working Class' Zeitgeist. 

• Stunning. Shame about the football field bit 

• Same with cotton and label removal. Also, I have to turn all socks inside out as I don’t know how people bear that inward-facing seam. 

• The car lights one! Yes, some of them are horrific. These cold hard blue lights dazzling you - the worst being in the rear view mirror- to the point where you’d swear it was full beam if you didn’t know better. My wee micra has soft warm yellowish lights and I’m glad I’m not part of the problem!

• Looks like a Laptop screen. 

• I was there in oct 2021 and same this year. It’s nice and everything, but the actual concept just bamboozles me. 

• I was at 2Taps, in September 2019. 

• I agree. You respected his request. My own dad’s been going through cancer stuff this last two years (two separate ops, with his hospital stay falling over Christmas two years running) and I can tell that he wants minimal contact at times while he works through build up and recovery etc. So brief text exchanges and short visits (initially) once home ate the order of the day. 

• At Poundland, in Castle Court, last month, the automated voice had the worst attempt at Santa EVER! 

• I apologised to her during my hospital visit, I’d inadvertently been the reason why she hadn’t had many cards or visitors for quite a while. She was nice about it but did initially admit she was a bit hurt by the silence and that it had been avoidable was an unpleasant fact. It’s kind of you to say it wasn’t my fault, but I’m fairly sure the call (This guy wouldn’t have called my dad often just socially) was so that it could be said at school. My dad assumed when he related that she was in hospital that I’d use my brain to assume what my ‘duty’ was. I never did. All a bit embarrassing. If I could time travel back and fix it I would. I’m no longer in contact with my then friend but did bump into her once or twice a few years ago, and sent Christmas cards - one way- for a short time thereafter. 

• I don't know whether this is relevant to the thread but I find it difficult to get my mind around this photograph (it's a football pitch in Greenland, apparently):

• Laughing Rofl

I know it's said that laughter is the best form of medicine, but it's reaching the point where I feel like my abdominal and facial muscles are being subjected to an almighty workout. Wink

• 100% with you on the bug thing. And why people insist on going to work and expect a medal for 'soldiering on through' when what they are actually doing is infecting their colleagues and customers etc! I get that sometimes they are forced to, which is also wrong as a company ought to not want the hit to productivity etc, although there are some times when I do see it is a sad necessity. But at the very least they could wear a mask and keep their blooming distance!

• ME: "Wow! I can't believe that we're here, actually watching the Beatles live in concert!"

FAN: "Um...this is a tribute band - the Beatles split up in 1970, and two of them are deceased."

ME: "...Wow! I can't believe that we're here, actually watching the Beatles live in concert!"

• I prefer cotton. Labels need to go. I've taken to making my own items of clothing that's more suitable for my skin and my daughters.

• Re clothing. I wear a lot of cotton as it is more comfortable, but I don't get why they put itchy man made labels in 

• I don't get why some people drop litter. Bins are readily available outside and inside.

I don't get why people are intentionally mean about other people regarding their appearance.

I don't get why people cheat in relationships.

I don't get why car lights have to be so bright.

I don't get why clothing is made with such unfriendly materials for people's skins.

• there things you just 'don't get' in life? (as in understand the rules of)

I would say, yes, that covers most of my experience with social interaction.

• I have a self-service checkout story gone wrong too.

In short, I got so worried that I hadn’t paid for a bag of items once, that I ended up going back to the shops and paying for them again.

I didn’t get a receipt on that occasion and in the short drive home, I’d convinced myself that I hadn’t actually paid and that I was suddenly a shop lifter and, by the extent of my worries you’d have thought I was on the most wanted list. I couldn’t move past my worries though went and spoke to the shop who, I imagine, we’re only too happy to take my money again!

It was only a couple of days later where I saw the money had come out twice from my bank that I realised what I’d done. I’ve vowed to be a bit more level headed from that point on about these sorts of things. 

I don't see that as doing anything wrong as it's private information.  I think that the parents perhaps wanted it kept to themselves because society then was more private.  I remember when my Dad was ill and in hospital several times throughout my life, my Mum always told me not to tell anyone as it was a private family matter.  I kept everything inside which was hard when I so desperately needed someone to support me and talk it through with.

The comment from someone at school was mean.  Perhaps they were jealous that you were the one who was told and not them.  It wasn't up to you to share the information in my view.  I think their parents would have phoned around to tell others if they wanted it known.  

Have you spoken about how you feel with this friend? You may not have gotten it "wrong" as you think.....