Are there things you just 'don't get' in life? (as in understand the rules of)

Thanks to  in another thread (root beer) I've been thinking of the many things I've just 'not got' and done wrong.

Usually the clue that I'm not 'getting it' is the look of wonder on the faces of other people.

I'm suspecting now this may be autism related.

There are countless examples during my life but here a few.

McDonalds: I don't really understand McDonalds and I don't spend time in them without another person.

My mum used to like them so I'd take her there for lunch sometimes.

One of the 1st times she asked me to collect a menu for her and some cutlery.

I couldn't understand why these weren't on the table.

So, I went to the counter and asked for these things.

After this initial trauma, I then had the trauma of trying to understand what you are supposed to eat off of and with.

Doh.

McDonalds is a particular thing with me I think.

I was with my autistic friend on our way back from visiting his mother and we went to a McD.

He asked me to get him a 'root beer'.

So, I asked for such at the counter only to be asked what that is.

I said 'I don't know' so no root beer was presented to my friend.

Doh.

Another prime example is going to a spa and swimming baths in a hotel.

I'm not a swimmer or a spa goer.

So, the 1st thing I did was put my make-up on before going there.

Then, I couldn't understand how the lockers worked and had to get assistance.

Then, I eventually found the toilets but couldn't find my way back to the swimming pool so I walked through reception soaking wet in my swimming costume.

I was also in a church once when a service began and loads of people sat around me.

I had gone in there because I was in a strange city and cold and was using the church as a refuge.

I thought I could just sit there whilst the service took place.

I hadn't anticipated communion and although I'm not a Catholic or a church goer, and although I didn't understand what I was doing, I felt obliged to follow everyone up and take communion. 

There are so many examples I won't continue.

Is it just me or are there other people here who just don't 'get it?'.

• I had a fellow contractor in my car once and he told me a first hand McDonalds "other side of the counter" story, that I hold in reserve as a psychological weapon if I ever want to steal someones peace of mind.

It's truly hideous... 

• For the purpose of personal safety one assumes that the trays are a hotbed of bacteriological filth.

Nauseated face

• It's generally accepted that the packaging is the plates and it's finger food except for dessert.

For the purpose of personal safety one assumes that the trays are a hotbed of bacteriological filth.

• Are you loosing your mind this evening sir ?  Are you suggesting that we organise into officialdom?

Personally, I just tell them there.....in the moment.

I have a standard line = "thank you for being such a lovely human - you are appreciated by me."  It normally raises an appreciative smile..........but then........

Unfortunately, because of the crap-shoot that is "modern society" - rather than just getting a thank you - I am then barraged with "thanks mate.....could you go on the app and use this QR code on the back of the receipt to say that.....give me your inside leg measurement and a list of the information that you have recently chosen to access on the interweb"

Needless to say - I don't.

I do my best to be nice.....that's it.

• Card factory will be in first place

• And we can maintain a blacklist to! Maybe on the ALIEN forum if the site owner agrees.

I nominate Halfords, and separately the motor insurance industry as a whole, to start with...

• WHY DON't WE....

Set our selves up as an awarding body, and award A.S. friendly certificates to retailers who like Greggs seem to take an interest in being generally helpful to our sort?

If we don't get corrupt in our issuance our certificates will be rare and prizeable.

Get one of our artists to do a logo meaning "Autism Friendly"

Whomp up an official AF certification, (and classification if we like) 

And send one to greggs head office, each time we find a store that's particualrly good.

• Yea - good point - well observed !  I have noticed that too !

• MY local Greggs treat me SO nice, and they generally seem to keep the nice staff too.

• You need a sheepee! 

Oooh! Just looked that up .... Blush

• I went in a macd's to use the loo the other week.

I needed to go today and walked in but couldn't stand the smell.

So I decided to go the M&S one instead.

They only had 2 loos and one was closed for repair and the other one the person seemed to be superglued to the seat.

So I went home with a full bladder (sorry if that's too much detail) ....

• I went in a macd's to use the loo the other week. I hated every minute of it. 

• If there's the option, it's Greggs every time! No fuss! 

• These things are always magnified on an empty stomach.

I think I'd rather walk the several miles back home down the motorway than enter one again....

They are utter incomprehensible chaos to me.

• You did really well there Debbie. These things are always magnified on an empty stomach.

• McDonalds is a particular thing with me I think.

Some things I don't understand about McDonalds:

Where is the cutlery?

Why do you get trays but no plates - I don't know if the tray is clean and it's not right eating off a tray.

Why aren't there proper menus, especially on  the tables?

This time the menus situation was worse than it used to be - there was one lit up on the screen behind the counter and I was reading it when it phased into something else!

Why don't the inadequate menus that there are (even on the screens for choosing your options) have ingredients?

Why do the touch screens for choosing your options not work for me but they do for others.

No matter how hard I pressed, it wouldn't take my order.

Why are they so loud?

Why is there music on in them?

Etc etc etc

Scream

• McDonalds is a particular thing with me I think.

I visited McDonalds again today for the 1st time in a long time.

It was for the sake of my husband.

I tried to find out what is in their veggie products - no-one knew.

I explained that I wasn't asking the details of the vegetables - I just wanted to avoid meat substitutes like quorn,  which I hate.

Veggie burgers with veggies or beans in are fine.

Two member of staff did try to be helpful but they just didn't seem to understand.

Someone went off for about 10 minutes, had spoken to the manager, and came back to advise me that she could tell me all the things in it that I might be allergic to but that she wasn't allowed to tell me the ingredients!

I eventually managed to find something that looked like it might be OK (from the picture) and was, but then changed seat 3 times because of all the noise.

Then, on leaving, I couldn't understand where to put all my rubbish and ended up putting it in the wrong holes.

Never again.