Are there things you just 'don't get' in life? (as in understand the rules of)

Thanks to  in another thread (root beer) I've been thinking of the many things I've just 'not got' and done wrong.

Usually the clue that I'm not 'getting it' is the look of wonder on the faces of other people.

I'm suspecting now this may be autism related.

There are countless examples during my life but here a few.

McDonalds: I don't really understand McDonalds and I don't spend time in them without another person.

My mum used to like them so I'd take her there for lunch sometimes.

One of the 1st times she asked me to collect a menu for her and some cutlery.

I couldn't understand why these weren't on the table.

So, I went to the counter and asked for these things.

After this initial trauma, I then had the trauma of trying to understand what you are supposed to eat off of and with.

Doh.

McDonalds is a particular thing with me I think.

I was with my autistic friend on our way back from visiting his mother and we went to a McD.

He asked me to get him a 'root beer'.

So, I asked for such at the counter only to be asked what that is.

I said 'I don't know' so no root beer was presented to my friend.

Doh.

Another prime example is going to a spa and swimming baths in a hotel.

I'm not a swimmer or a spa goer.

So, the 1st thing I did was put my make-up on before going there.

Then, I couldn't understand how the lockers worked and had to get assistance.

Then, I eventually found the toilets but couldn't find my way back to the swimming pool so I walked through reception soaking wet in my swimming costume.

I was also in a church once when a service began and loads of people sat around me.

I had gone in there because I was in a strange city and cold and was using the church as a refuge.

I thought I could just sit there whilst the service took place.

I hadn't anticipated communion and although I'm not a Catholic or a church goer, and although I didn't understand what I was doing, I felt obliged to follow everyone up and take communion. 

There are so many examples I won't continue.

Is it just me or are there other people here who just don't 'get it?'.

Parents
  • I don't get why people still go out, visit family for instance when they know they've got a cold or flu bug which they freely and knowingly spread to everyone else.

When I'm ill I stay away from people until I'm feeling better and I'm past contagious stages.

I also don't get why people walk looking at their phones. I've even seen mums walking with their children whilst looking at their phone screen - it's so dangerous.

There's a lot of things I don't get but I'll leave it here :) 

• I don't get why people still go out, visit family for instance when they know they've got a cold or flu bug which they freely and knowingly spread to everyone else.

When I'm ill I stay away from people until I'm feeling better and I'm past contagious stages.

I also don't get why people walk looking at their phones. I've even seen mums walking with their children whilst looking at their phone screen - it's so dangerous.

There's a lot of things I don't get but I'll leave it here :) 

Children
  • Mums, pretty much universally, do a ridiculously hard job, everyday.

They are likely multitasking in this instance, but I suspect often just having a few moments peace, as they choose, to freely read or talk to someone that isn't a child. Those windows of time are crucial to your own sanity, and that's a Dad saying so

Clap

ClapClap to all the mums out there! Heroes

• 100% with you on the bug thing. And why people insist on going to work and expect a medal for 'soldiering on through' when what they are actually doing is infecting their colleagues and customers etc! I get that sometimes they are forced to, which is also wrong as a company ought to not want the hit to productivity etc, although there are some times when I do see it is a sad necessity. But at the very least they could wear a mask and keep their blooming distance!

• I agree with you re colds. I don't want to be the person giving it to someone else.

I am also with you re mobiles. I have to look where I am going so I don't fall over anything or step in anything. I also don't get why people go for a walk for exercise and put headphones in. I like to hear birds singing.

• I also don't get why people who are unwell with something contagious visit family/friends, and I completely agree with your comment about people and mobile phones. Edited to add: No offense intended to you , as I'm referring to the kind of mobile phone users who don't even bother to glance up.

• Lol.  I am one of the mums who does that.  Usually only only on the way to or from school, when I'm aware that they know the way and won't wander too far.  I'm also constantly listening for their footsteps and glancing up so I know where they are and am aware of the surroundings.  And i know that i can trust my kids to be sensible and stop when I say so.