Small Talk

I hate small talk. I hate that I can't grasp it. I hate how people randomly foist it on me. What's up with that!? I've been online shopping since Covid19 started but I decided to get out and give a small shop ago. It went ok. I was anxious but I coped and then came the till...... the woman started talking to me like we were good friends.... said about the weather, Christmas, even her cat Boris! I feel drained now. I feel an idiot for being unable to participate in her small talk. All I said was yes, no... mmm... Small talk, one of life's little mysteries.

Parents
  • If I'm in the right frame of mind I can tolerate small talk, provided it doesn't last too long. It's been YEARS since I last visited a hairdressing salon because I do not find it to be a relaxing experience. I would maybe visit no more than once or twice a year. It was the amount of small talk that made it such an unenjoyable experience... "Doing anything nice for Christmas?" "Going anywhere nice on holiday?" AGHHH! Weary

• If I'm in the right frame of mind I can tolerate small talk, provided it doesn't last too long. It's been YEARS since I last visited a hairdressing salon because I do not find it to be a relaxing experience. I would maybe visit no more than once or twice a year. It was the amount of small talk that made it such an unenjoyable experience... "Doing anything nice for Christmas?" "Going anywhere nice on holiday?" AGHHH! Weary

Children
  • It must be nearly 30 years since I last went to the hairdressers. However I still have vivid and horrible memories of them! I agree it was certainly not a relaxing experience.

I can think of many reasons why I will never set foot in one ever again:

• Being trapped in a chair with no easy escape
    • The small talk and being asked questions not knowing what to say
    • The overwhelm from multiple (more successful) conversations going on all around me
    • The hairdresser invading my personal space and being far too close for my liking
    • The unbearable noise of hairdryers (I can't even bear to use one at home)
    • Disliking having my hair washed due to my sensory issues around temperature and touch
    • Looking at myself in the large mirrors Scream
  • I can relate to that. I have needed to go to the hairdressers but less frequently since Covid as changed to a longer lasting style. I always feel they must think I am boring.

• My wife started cutting my hair during the Covid lockdown and it was such a relief not to have talk to a barber so she still does it.