I need people to smile, otherwise they dislike me

How come my understanding of facial expressions is so primitive that if people are not smiling I interpret their thinking as dislike of me? 

Parents
  • It's due to autism.

It is the same with me although I tend to interpret someone not smiling at me as either they are unhappy or annoyed.

I am constantly asking people I am close to how they are feeling.  Not knowing makes me a bit panicky.

It's one of the 'triad of impairments' for diagnosis.

See below:

'Language and communication: difficulties in recognising and understanding verbal and non-verbal language, such as gestures, facial expressions and tone of voice.'

• Absolutely but not all allisics people are hyperempaths, by far (a mere 2%), otherwise autistic people wouldn't have so much trouble. So I find it interesting to understand how people who are also largely blind to the emotional state of others deal with this aspect in a different way than autistic people do.  

• not all allisics people are hyperempaths,

I believe I am empathetic when someone tells me what they are feeling in an obvious way eg. they tell me or they cry.

As far as I understand it empathy is understanding a person's thoughts and feelings from their point of view.

Not recognising facial expressions and non-verbal signs isn't something I see as related to empathy.

It's the recognising that's the hurdle. 

• That's a very good question indeed! Hyperempathy is not a typical allistic trait in any case. It can cause overloads when in crowds and requires training to cope with it.

Reply Children
No Data