Female, diagnosed at 60

Are there any other people out there diagnosed late in life?

How has it affected your perception of yourself and the life you've led?

My ASD diagnosis has made me feel a lot calmer, and that my likes and dislikes have a justification.

It's also put many of my life experiences and difficulties into a context.

I now know why I have seemed different all my life, with the exception of a few people I know who are maybe odder than me ..

• I think we should be supplied with a 'fun fact' every day.

Another saying that's always resonated with me:

'Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny'.

Just found out it's by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Where were we before the internet?

Oh, I know, in libraries ...

With regard to this quote though, at the time I first heard it I didn't know about my autism.

I wonder where that and genetics fit in?

Fun Fact For Today
  • Glad to hear that.

Thank you also for the recommendations.

I will look them up.

All the best to you.

• Hello, I’ve just ordered this book by Gillian Drew, it looks good. Also I can recommend 2 others which helped me a lot as a female diagnosed later in life. They are Odd Girl Out by Laura James and Spectrum Women, walking to the beat of autism, by Barb Cook. I’m an avid reader and these were great. All the best.

• Fun Fact For Today

These words are spoken aloud thousands of times a day by tens of thousands of people.  This "Serenity Prayer" is a mainstay of AA, I believe......they allow the interpretation of the first word to be whatever so fits the individual.

• I might just bore you with that, you never know!

I was just looking for a physical bookmark as it's the 1st physical book I have purchased for years. 

Usually I kindle.

Oddly, the 1st one I found has these words on it:

'God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change

courage to change the things I can

and the wisdom to know the difference'.

With the probable exception of  the 1st word, that seems to me a good approach to (my) autism.

• Groovy.  We all expect a competent literary review when you are finished.  No pressure.

• I have just purchased a book called 'An adult with autism diagnosis' by Gillan Drew.

So far, so good.

• Happy Sunday to you too Heart eyes cat

• Weirdly connected to all animals, almost always preferred than humans.  Found my true love human/angel at 19 and been blessed as swans ever since.  Never read novels.  I read a huge amount of daily news.  Omnific thinking and propensity for obsessive research into ANYTHING that grips me by whatever means necessary.

God bless your visiting cats - your little angel guardians for a while, AI would imagine.

Happy Sunday.

• I actually did do that. I was involved with a 5 year study on autism in adults and the constant questioning of many aspects of my life stirred up all the old ghosts. Writing it all in a book exorcised a lot of those ghosts and made answering questions a lot easier, I could just copy and paste from my book.

• It sounds to me as though you could write a very good book about your interesting life.

• I've been an avid reader since the age of 5, mostly science fiction and fantasy novels, these days I download them all from the net.

I almost got married many years ago. When we split up she told me "All men always think they're right, the trouble with you is that you actally are.". Slight smile

I spent a decade living in remote tropical rainforests southwest of Darwin after a massive burn out, and some one gave me a dog, a hunting hound I called Ruby. I taught her to hunt and she fed me for a few years, until she broke a leg. She passed away last year, I'd like another one but where I live now just isn't appropriate for an such active animal.

• Hi.  I read novels. I find it hard to read factual books as they seem to overload my brain with information.

Since the internet I read a lot online and rather obsessively, the BBC site.

I am married now, having met my husband in my 40's, and he is quite a lively talker, which overwhelmes me quite often.  I like silence the best.

I love animals and would happily live in a Zoo (although that would be far from silent). 

Our cat sadly recently died but we have visiting cats.

How about you?

• Personal perceptions are a funny thing, many people find my life's stories terrifying and traumatising but I reckon I've had a far better life than most people. There's been a few rough patches here and there but overall I think things have turned out pretty good.

Cheers,

Andrew.

• So you are just a reader for your sustainance?  And spoken conversation?  And companion animal perhaps?

• Thank you for the explanation Andrew and for sharing some of your story.

I do find it fascinating (and sometimes sad) to read the stories of others on this forum and how they got to where they are now in life.  I can see how many are still struggling with getting a diagnosis and support.

My online assessment was because the NHS in England simply isn't coping with face to face assessments and waiting lists can be for several years.  I would have had to wait several years if I hadn't had the online one.

I am much better talking to a computer than a real life person so it was easier for me.  It consisted of 2 or 3 written assessments (online) and then 2 sessions with 2 different psychiatrists, both around an hour, via Zoom.

I don't watch TV + haven't for 20+ years.  I have given up on radio as well, more or less.

All the best.

• Hi Debbie,

In Australia it's called the Disability Support Pension, a lot of people whinge about how impoverished our pensions are but I find it to be quite a tidy sum of money. But then I don't go out and socialize very much so I spend very little.

Different countries run different systems, in Aust. they rate you as being on one of three different levels. Level 1 is most people that would describe themselves as Aspergic, as I did until I got my diagnosis. Level 2 is severe but not needing full time care, level 3 is for people that need supervision and assistance.

I was surprised reading through this forum that they do an online diagnosis in Britain, my diagnosis was by a panel of 3 sociologists and psychiatrists face to face, it took a couple of hours. I wouldn't be able to do an online diagnosis, I struggle to parse information in video and audio, I'm fine talking to people in real life.

Perhaps that's part of their perception of me being disadvantaged, I don't use mobile phones or watch TV or listen to the radio. I also don't go to GPs, there's very few times I have that I found them to be of any use, most of them are just glorified drug dealers. When I wanted an autism diagnosis I went to the recognised body in my state, AutismSA, in person, and told them what I wanted. I had to wait for a year and it cost me $500 but it was worth it.

I might be autistic but I have never seen myself as being disadvantaged. Slight smile

I cheated the system a bit to get social housing, simply by being homeless and living on the streets for a while.

Cheers,

Andrew.

• Thank you Andrew.  That is very interesting.  Two things have really surprised me in what you write:

1.  That you got a full pension and social housing.  As far as I know, here in the England, unless a person is registered disabled (which I believe would be tested on ability to cope, not just a diagnosis) there is nothing like that available or actually, anything at all, even a bus pass?  (I am talking though about a state pension, not a private company one).

2.  I didn't realise that there are levels that are actually given to us.  I thought it was just going to be 'on the spectrum' but maybe here that is the case?  I'd be interested to find that out if anyone knows.

I was told in my final online assessment by the psychiatrist that I am on the spectrum and he just used the word 'moderate'.  I am still waiting for a letter from them with all that I was told in writing.

Thank you for sharing your story (and everyone else who has).

• Hi Debbie,

I got my diagnosis at age 56. I had pretty much figured out that I was autistic by the age of 25, the only reason I got a formal diagnosis was as a part of my retirement plan, it got me a full pension and social housing. (Australia) I'm a high function polymath so I knew from a very early age that I wasn't "normal".

My diagnosis did surprise me though, when they listed me as Level 2. I said "I didn't think I was that bad." and they all just smirked at me. Like you though, I did feel a sense of vindication when I got that diagnosis.

Cheers,

Andrew.

• Thank you for your good wishes.

Does anyone know of someone diagnosed with ASD at a later age than I am?

Good luck to anyone on these threads who is still waiting for/hoping to get an assessment.