Female, diagnosed at 60

Are there any other people out there diagnosed late in life?

How has it affected your perception of yourself and the life you've led?

My ASD diagnosis has made me feel a lot calmer, and that my likes and dislikes have a justification.

It's also put many of my life experiences and difficulties into a context.

I now know why I have seemed different all my life, with the exception of a few people I know who are maybe odder than me ..

Parents
  • I have just purchased a book called 'An adult with autism diagnosis' by Gillan Drew.

So far, so good.

• Groovy.  We all expect a competent literary review when you are finished.  No pressure.

• I might just bore you with that, you never know!

I was just looking for a physical bookmark as it's the 1st physical book I have purchased for years. 

Usually I kindle.

Oddly, the 1st one I found has these words on it:

'God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change

courage to change the things I can

and the wisdom to know the difference'.

With the probable exception of  the 1st word, that seems to me a good approach to (my) autism.

• I think we should be supplied with a 'fun fact' every day.

Another saying that's always resonated with me:

'Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny'.

Just found out it's by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Where were we before the internet?

Oh, I know, in libraries ...

With regard to this quote though, at the time I first heard it I didn't know about my autism.

I wonder where that and genetics fit in?

Fun Fact For Today
  • Fun Fact For Today

These words are spoken aloud thousands of times a day by tens of thousands of people.  This "Serenity Prayer" is a mainstay of AA, I believe......they allow the interpretation of the first word to be whatever so fits the individual.

• Fun Fact For Today

These words are spoken aloud thousands of times a day by tens of thousands of people.  This "Serenity Prayer" is a mainstay of AA, I believe......they allow the interpretation of the first word to be whatever so fits the individual.

Children
  • I think we should be supplied with a 'fun fact' every day.

Another saying that's always resonated with me:

'Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny'.

Just found out it's by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Where were we before the internet?

Oh, I know, in libraries ...

With regard to this quote though, at the time I first heard it I didn't know about my autism.

I wonder where that and genetics fit in?

Fun Fact For Today