Recent suspected diagnosis and ADHD

Hi there

I'm mid 40's and have a recently suspected diagnosis of Autism. Well I did have difficulties listening and concentrating at school and I couldn't enjoy creative subjects like art and English Literature as much as I wanted to and now I know why. I've also had difficulty forming friendships and have had too many abusive relationships! I tend to obsess over things or people that have upset me.  I am hypersensitive too to smells, taste, sound and touch...and to what I hear from others... Does this sound like I may have Autism and ADHD? And do you have the same or similar issues?

Parents
  • Hi Sara, I came onto this site because I have a son that sounds just like you.  He is now 35 and it is tearing our family apart, his obsession with what people have done in the past to stop him from progressing in his life.  The truth is that these are things that just happen in normal life but he obsesses over them and is so repetitive.  He has real aggressive outbursts too.  I am not sure if that is manipulative behavior or part of the autism.  He refuses to get diagnosed.

What is your story, what made you seek a diagnosis?

• what about lack of support and no willingness to understand from family members

if he has no one to open up because everone just pressures him to fix himself that it's unacceptable, no wonder he is stuck

autism isn't the cause of his problems

it's misunderstandings and miscommunication, and refusal to meet middle ground

• Hi Mariusz My son has a lot of support from family members and everyone trying to help and support him but it is never enough.  He is always 'opening up' and we have been hearing the same stories over and over again for years.  He is always coming to get money from us and will never accept any guidance on how to run his finances..  His social interactions are always a problem, he can't keep friends and will always find something to blame them for.  It is having such a detrimental effect on my health.  Can autism lead to mental health problems? 

• yes, it is part of a way to selfidentification - talking to other autistic, easiest amd safest way is online

• Thanks Summer,  I have learned to let him talk AT me and I will then respond in a very clear and simple way as I have realised he sees things differently from others.  It is interesting that you think I am autistic too.  Why do you say that?  I feel I have got to this age without many hiccups.  It is a good idea to let him look at the site, although I don't think he will - but I will try..  He believes there is no issue with him, but all others around him can see there is!

• If he is struggling badly, and if the conversations you are having with him are leading to him getting stressed. Could social services help him, if he is not coping. Now please do not judge all autistics as being like this. As NT's need social services from time to time too. 

A fulfilled life to an autistic is different from what an NT expects. 

However, from your writing, it is very possible that you are autistic too. 

Maybe, it is best you give him details of this site so he can chat to fellow autistics on here, and then I would say it is best that you do not look on here, to give him the privacy to chat to other autistics. 

• If he is struggling badly, and if the conversations you are having with him are leading to him getting stressed. Could social services help him, if he is not coping. Now please do not judge all autistics as being like this. As NT's need social services from time to time too. 

A fulfilled life to an autistic is different from what an NT expects. 

However, from your writing, it is very possible that you are autistic too. 

Maybe, it is best you give him details of this site so he can chat to fellow autistics on here, and then I would say it is best that you do not look on here, to give him the privacy to chat to other autistics. 

Children
  • Thanks Summer,  I have learned to let him talk AT me and I will then respond in a very clear and simple way as I have realised he sees things differently from others.  It is interesting that you think I am autistic too.  Why do you say that?  I feel I have got to this age without many hiccups.  It is a good idea to let him look at the site, although I don't think he will - but I will try..  He believes there is no issue with him, but all others around him can see there is!