Help

I am at a loss my husband is fading away from me, I can't speak with him anymore as he says I'm trying to control his thoughts, and what he says believe me I'm not.... im lost and need some help 

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi - sorry about that - how did you approach him?

• Thanks for your help and ideas, I tried something you said plastic and it backed fired, I'm.speaking at him again ..... 

• What you call his 'research' sounds like what is sometimes called a 'special interest'. For autistics, such interests can become somewhat obsessive and anything tending to distract away from them can be resented. If you want more interaction, try talking to him about his interest. You then might not be able get a word in edgeways, but at least he will be talking to you. Social interactions tend to take a lot of energy from autistics, especially group interactions. He may be much better able to cope with one friend at a time, in low stress situations. A casual chat over a coffee would be much less stressful than say a dinner party.

• We have difficulties with Neurotypicals (NTs) because their main conversation is based around status and consumerism - we tend to be more focussed on activities and experiences.

The covid thing has messed a lot of people up - I have a friend who spends all his time googling virus-related websites rather than living.

What are his concerns?

What did you used to do together?    The problem is you will have grown up and changed - matured - he won't have.    He'll still love all the silly things that you used to like together.      He may literally not know how to interface to you any more.    Something else is that NT expect us to pretend to be like NTs - what do you do to step into his world?

• Yes he has friends, life has been stressful more so since covid, as he just researches it all the time

I don't tend to have friends around anymore and now doing more things on my own as he does not want to be with any of them as it takes his energy away

I don't know what to do anymore to be honest 

• 58 is retirement panic time - will finance be in place, health worries etc.(stress related?).

If he's on the diagnosis path, then he must be on-board with the concepts.

Our lives revolve around stress and not being able to cope with sudden change - a chaotic life burns us out.

What silly, childish hobbies does he have?    We often get forced to grow up against our wishes - it takes our safety net away.   (I'm mid 50s - still into Lego and models).

Does he have any friends?