Driving and parking

I didnt learn to drive until I was 25 and needed to drive for the work I do. I have always found it something that causes me anxiety, particularly if driving in busy places, unfamiliar places, or needing to park in crowded spaces or closed in spaces such as multistorey car parks. 

In my follow up appointment with my assessor she suggested that I apply for a blue badge. Has anyone else here got a blue badge that isn't for a more visible disability? Have you applied and been turned down? Interested to know what other people's experiences are. 

Parents
  • I just looked it up and it looks as though different councils have different rules on who qualifies.  You probably knew that though and wanted examples.

• Yes I'm aware of this, I'm just wondering if anyone has actually got experience of applying and what the response was. 

The hidden disabilities criteria was included in 2019 I think to include autism, adhd, anxiety and panic disorder, dementia amongst many others. My father-in-law had a blue badge with dementia long before he stopped being able to physically walk.

• I thought I had replied to this but my message mustn't have sent. The reason the criteria was expanded was to reflect the significant anxiety some of us experience with driving and parking. If you don't experience that then that is great. Unfortunately I do and driving is a significant part of my job so I cannot avoid it. Multistorey car parks cause me the greatest anxiety and that's the only type of car park I can currently park in for my work base. 

• i dont want one,,  to me its for people who really need it ----- i was interested once when injured and couldnt walk more than 100 yards for months but my injury was temporary which i am truly thankful for.

• i dont want one,,  to me its for people who really need it ----- i was interested once when injured and couldnt walk more than 100 yards for months but my injury was temporary which i am truly thankful for.

Children
  • I thought I had replied to this but my message mustn't have sent. The reason the criteria was expanded was to reflect the significant anxiety some of us experience with driving and parking. If you don't experience that then that is great. Unfortunately I do and driving is a significant part of my job so I cannot avoid it. Multistorey car parks cause me the greatest anxiety and that's the only type of car park I can currently park in for my work base.