Online Result Shows I Have Complex PTSD- What Can I Do?

Hi, first post here! 

I’m autistic and in my 20s. I’ve been struggling extremely with my mental health for many years before and after my diagnosis of ASD. I happened to stumble onto a website called Clinical Partners where there was an online test for PTSD, so I filled it out truthfully with answers that I felt matched best for the questions. Afterwards, I had a report sent to me confirming that I scored the highest level of severity which indicates that I more than likely have complex PTSD.

I know online tests can often be dismissed as false and those who take them called stupid and lazy, however, all of the observations that came back truly did fit with my situations and mental state of mind. I have had many traumas in my life but had always been brought up with the knowledge that only people in the military could be diagnosed with PTSD.

My local doctors aren’t great unfortunately and the huge majority are only prioritising COVID related stuff. However, I’m unemployed and have had 0 income since the start of the pandemic so I can’t afford private treatment. I’m honestly in despair. I don’t really want to talk to my family about it since they are all struggling at the moment and I have no friends, so can’t open up to them either.

Any suggestions? Disappointed

(Just to clarify that I was diagnosed over three years ago with anxiety disorder, however that was at a time when things were not affecting me so much regarding my personal life!) 

• This is good advice but remember if you're on the contraceptive pill or implant that St John's Wort causes an interaction that makes your contraception less effective. 

• Just to add to the options, look at mindfullness training, music therapy, art therapy, immersing yourself in nature (trees, birds experiencing), don’t allow yourself to dwell too long on the negatives, hypnosis (there are many free ideas on Spotify) chanting, religion. 
    any of these that are an interest are the first ones to go for. Oh and St John’s Wort and antidepressant diet, exercising, especially walking in nature.

• Oooops I should have clarified that they're online groups via Teams and Zoom to do with arts, gardening, yoga etc rather than specific to a particular condition. The NHS website has links to organisations such as Cruse, Rape Crisis and Victim Suport who might be able to help with PTSD specifically. Thinking of you and hoping that you get the support that you need and deserve x

• I've somehow missed your response in my emails, however I've attached the questionnaire's to the conversation so they should show a little further down. I didn't really look at where I got them from, it's just the first place that I was able to find the ones that I was using during my treatment. They will still give you a score and a general guide. I actually had to fill it out before each weekly session and it's interesting to see how the scores change.

If your doctor questions where you got them from, these were the questions supplied to me through the Counselling Service (Italk) which I did through the NHS.

Incidentally, Italk is available in my area and you can self refer. I don't know where you are, but you can see if they are in your area too?

https://www.italk.org.uk/

• As promised in my previous email; These are some links to questionnaire's that I did as part of my PTSD treatment. If you print these off, fill them out (the anxiety and depression is based on two weeks and the ptsd is based on 1 week) and take that information to your doctor. They can discuss it with you and see what services are available in your area. 

https://www.westlondonpractice.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/PHQ9-and-GAD7.pdf

https://novopsych.com.au/assessments/the-impact-of-event-scale-revised-ies-r/

• I just did the test and also got high score. The company though is commercial and do not have out best interests at heart, They just want us to get hooked on the drug they leaglly supply. 

Yes - you have PTSD. So do I - so do amny herion addicts, alcoholics, etc etc. I would trust herion more than an SSRI.

• Sadly there isn’t anything in my area due to Covid.

• Would love the links to the questionnaires please.

• Your post has reminded me that I still haven't taken my anxiety medication for today. I'm lucky to be involved with local-to-me organisations that do free groups and counselling (I'm still waiting for this) for all kinds of people. I wonder if there is something similar in your area? I also think that I might be affected by PTSD as well as anxiety and depression but I'm not sure how to ask about treatment specific to PTSD. I'm hoping that groups and counselling will help. Thinking of you x

• I'm awaiting assessment for Autism. But I have already been formally diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety disorder, I also have PTSD. Firstly, let me assure you, doing online tests does not make you stupid and lazy. It can give you a snapshot into a condition you may not know a great deal about. While you shouldn't use the information as the definitive answer, it can be the first step on a path that helps you deal with issues and improve your life.

Secondly, I developed PTSD after a motorcycle accident. I've also read that Carrie Fisher developed it after a person she knew passed away next to her when she was sleeping. At it's core, it's an extreme form of Anxiety so those of us with an anxiety disorder can certainly be more prone to it. Even though I've completed my counselling, I won't be getting back on the road as a motorcyclist.

I'm using my tablet so it's not easy for me to find the appropriate link, but there are several tests which are used to measure both anxiety and ptsd. You may have seen the anxiety questionnaire.  Unless I see that someone else has been able to supply you with the link, I'll see if I can track down my information when I'm back at my work desk tomorrow. Fill out the questionnaires, and take them with you to your GP. They'll be able to use the information, and, if the services are available in your area, they can refer you to a suitable counselling service who can support you. It took months for a space to become available for me to have sessions with a counsellor, so you may find that getting the ball rolling now, means you are able to see them face to face later which does make a difference.

PTSD counselling was hard. It brings up a lot of stuff. It gets worse before it gets better. It's still worthwhile to go through the process and to stick with it. I understand so much more now than I did and even though I have a trigger every now and then, I'm better able to cope with it and I know why it's happening.

• I was on CBT therapy as well at the start of this year (after being referred by my GP) however I ended up in hospital (completely unrelated to my mental health) and ended up missing a login session so I got booted off (despite contacting them with what had happened) 

I guess I’m just very hesitant to go back to my GP, to me, they were very dismissive before and I really had to fight with them to get my voice heard. I’m not a confrontational person generally so that was rough.

Definitely going to write out a list though- thanks! 

• I really don’t know to be honest. I’ve never received any benefits from the government. To be honest due to how low I’ve been feeling lately, not really prepared to wait until the summer months.

• Speak to your GP. Covid is getting priority but other services haven't completely shut down. My husband got a mental health diagnosis in November and he's had 8 weeks of CBT that started the week after he spoke to the doctor, and we are in a huge city where waiting lists for everything are horrific. 

Even speaking to your GP now will get you ahead of any lists if it is something that's been paused. 

Treat it like getting an autism diagnosis as an adult, write a list of all the reasons why you think you have C-PTSD so you don't miss anything out. 

• Do people with a new  PTSD diagnosis get more help / support / benefits?

COVID will be reducing in May - June ( if we all continue to social distance etc )  so can you wait until then ?