Autistic boyfriend can’t keep a job - any advise would help

Hi All,

I’ve been with my boyfriend for 4 years he has Autism and I’m a NT . We have always had ups and downs and he has always been in and out of work he has just started a new job (1 week in) and already wants to quit. I struggle with reacting in a sympathetic way. I worry about the money side of things - I don’t make enough to cover all our outgoings. So this is my first reaction. He doesn’t think I’m being supportive enough but I’m too worried about money.

Im at a loss of how to feel. I want him to be happy and have a job he loves but I also need him to make enough money to support himself. we talk about having a family one day and I just don’t see how that is possibly. 

I’m not really sure what I’m asking or who will see this. Any advise would be helpful. 

thanks x

Parents
  • i always had the urge to quit... i worked through that by forcing myself through martial arts, and good things came from forcing myself to not quit such as getting fitter being a badass and getting a super toned body and being able to handle life better... i still have urge to quit, but i can fight through it more especially as martial arts was essentially really hard work. my job i have now i wanted to quit many times, especially through the 16 hour shifts through december and the abuse our bosses gave us, but i stuck at it and didnt quit, and really good things came from it, id have regretted quitting... quitting only gives you regret... your boyfriend needs to learn that the urge to quit is temporary, if he toughs it out through that urge to quit it turns better and things get good. everytime i feel the need to quit i always remember it, and always know that when you feel a need to quit that good things always follow if you dont quit... every time i feel that need to quit, if i dont quit, it really pays off, it becomes the best decision of my life to ignore that quit feeling and you see itt, and the more times you do that, the more times you beat that urge to quit, the more times you get a good thing after and the more time you realise that urge to quit is actually a signal that your going in the right direction and good things are ahead.

• I think like this all the time when you job stops challenging you just get board and move some where ellse to start over again jobs a dead end when your on minimum wage anyway

Reply Children
  • Yeah man that's why I'm on bank contract now works out better for me as I can do half days so 6 and half hour shifts clock in clock out and I'm done few days on in a week then might be off a whole week then back in Monday till Friday or back in the week after with only two or three shifts a week. It works out pretty nicely and I know longer feel like I'm just working myself to death I need the down time and space away from people to recharge like in my days off inwont make the effort to go out and see people simply cause to much socilising is physically draining and mentally draining rest of the time round I'll be on my playstation or painting I guess but then again I do find myself getting board fast when I'm not in work due to my ADHD but to much time in work and I burn out fast due my Autism it's a hell of a physical and I really hate it at times 

• ah 40 hour is my basic contract. my employer was forcing me to do much more during december... one week i was doing 16 hour shifts every single day, i was on the trailer too, throwing millions of parcels coming at me at a fast pace all day none stop rapidly throwing things of all weights and sizes and you couldnt stop ass it would screw the trailer up and back everything up so you had to be like a none stop throwing robot for the entire 16 hours with only a 30 minute break that was all they allowed.... then at end of the last vans at 16 hours i go out of trailer, back feel sore can barely stand anymore, most of other staff fecked off and left a big massive mountain of stuff they didnt scan or complete and im expected to do that there and then after 16 hours in the trailer and wanting to go home, barely able to stand being told to bend over and pick millions of stuff up and scan them, yeah i just went home, got shouted at by the boss for going but only contracted to 40 hours which makes out 8 hours so i told him to be grateful i stayed that long, still shouted at me and spoke down as if me wanting a extra bit of sleep was pathetic, not that i had much time to sleep as i only had like 6 hours until my next shift started at that point. christmas is hell where i work and the bosses dont care about us at all. they never even paid right too and felt like all that work was unpaid and for nothing.

• Yeah I mean I like the job have now anyway so don't mind it the job itself is nothing fun but then again what job is fun. But we make the most of it as a team. Get a free lunch too so can't complain. I use to strugel with getting bullied at work myself by colleges to the point where they'd make it an unbeatable environment I also struggled with keeping up with the rest of college's or picking the job up quick enough to be given chance. So you'd basically get bullied especially if you weren't willing to do the same 40 hour weeks like they we're. But for me I suffer from double burnout as I'm ADHD and ASD a 40 hour week would more less be death of me hell almost was literally. As the work I do is pretty phyical labour. 

• maybe so... but if you can get security... a dead end minimum wage job that has security is a good thing..

i know many who quit calling it dead end minimum wage, i warned them not to quit and that they will find it hard to get a job, they thought not as they already had a offer for higher pay job... they lost that job in the first few months and have gone through another 5 jobs since and cant hold a job down now... i prefer security... with security of holding a job down you can build a life and plan.