Difference or Personality?

Parents
  • Everybody keeps telling me the wheels on my car are square and not round, but I'm also getting there, what are they talking about?

I would advise a proper diagnose, but don't overlook the necessity for follow-up by a psychologist. It works miracles with me, just somebody to tell me often that I see two options, but there is also a third option that I might look into. 

Don't try to fit, feel worthy, accept yourself, like yourself, take enough rest, don't waste energy trying to please people. 

Self-acceptance is also very important, and very hard to do. It is what it is. I look at the president of the USA and think: my children are a lot better behaved and kinder people, my wife does hold my hand when we go places, … that kind of stuff, … 

Also, I used to be a magnet for negative people, see if you shouldn't break with some. I broke contact with my brother-in-law, when I spent a day with my sister and him, I didn't sleep well, he kind of messed with my brain. Now I have energy in stead to meet up with an old colleague now and then, we have a meal in a restaurant, and after talking to him I feel good and sleep well. We talk about the nerdy stuff like latest Star Wars, … 

I think the curse of autism is that when you have a problem to fix, you see really all options, even illegal or straight immoral ones, I think NT-people don't have this, some things just don't cross their minds, kind of a filter. 

Reply Children
  • Racoon, if you're asking these questions about fitting in, you probably do need to get some ideas from people.

What I say about positive thoughts is not an easy one, problem with that approach is that you sometimes get discouraged by people taking advantage of you, but the results are better in the long run. Having a negative approach to situations always gets you negative results, that becomes comfortable after a while, and that's when it gets really sad.