Global Climate Strike

Hi,

Is anyone else attending a strike event today? It's essentially my worst nightmare but I feel so strongly about the issue that I have to at least try.

• i have stopped eating red meat  now --- i only eat fish and vegetables  next year maybe fish as well. sometimes i leave some of the plastic at the checkout 

• i have been called  " a fuckin Womble !". i tend to take stuff  from bins and recycle them, mostly to charity shops :) people throw out all sorts these days - hoping for a nice Ferrari some day

• get ready for the next one :) 

• well done you - i recycle cardboard from work in my wormery -  they turn it into nutrient rich compost

• there is plastic everywhere :(

in the future- aliens will find a layer of plastic in the soil, that will be called the human period

• It's good you aredoing these things and more people are becoming aware. However, there needs to be change at a higher level.  I think meat and dairy shoukd be rationed. Thereshoukd be more community gardening. We are told we should drive electric cars, but they're so bloody expensive and there's no charging points anywhere. Petrol and diesel cars are still being manufactured. Food and products are being produced then thrown away unused. Everything comes wrapped in plastic.  Yes we can make choices but often it's difficult - the nearest plastic free shop is a 15 minute drive away....that's not a good balance. It's maybe more difficult for people on a low income, it's probably not a priority and understandably  so.  

Id had really bad anxiety about this for a few years until I had some counselling a few months back. These strikes give me hope. Momentum is building, Greta Thurberg is wonderful.  I just think the powers that be will never take action as they are too invested in capitalism and power.

Well done for getting out of your comfort zone for something you feel so strongly about. 

• That's an absolutely brilliant idea!!!! Maybe write to your MP?

• I love Freecycle and charity shops. I absolutely hate throwing away perfectly good things just because I don't need them anymore.

I was thinking it would be good in each small community to have a library of rarely used items. Lawnmowers, hedge trimmers, other tools etc. Rather than every household having to pay for them separately then only using them a few times a year. It's just the fear of having to organise people that stops me...and my lack of motivation. 

• It's quite eye-opening learning how many seemingly innocent things actually have a negative impact. Over the last few years we have been gradually making small changes. Going vegan, reducing plastic, trying to eat mostly fresh food, not buying any clothes unless really needed then going for good quality and sustainable, switching to green energy, not taking flights etc. 

I do find that with trying to shop ethically it is very expensive and not accessible to most, but then most low income people aren't creating the most carbon - they're not flying to far off lands 3 times a year or driving SUVs! 

• I suspect, as most of the UK media is owned by very wealthy people with a lot of shares in non-renewables, it wasn't widely talked about. I mostly hear about the climate crisis from Twitter but it does seem to be slowly changing (not fast enough).

If we all followed the example of the wombles we wouldn't be in this mess! :) Companies are constantly coming up with ideas to be more eco, whilst still encouraging us to buy buy buy, but actually just re-using things, not buying things we don't need, would be better for the planet.

• It looks to be about 4 million globally. I think other parts of the world encouraged children to strike whereas most schools in the UK said "you'll get an unauthorized absence". My husband's work supported the strike but most didn't. 

From looking at the photos it looks like Scotland and Northern Ireland had the best turn outs, but it's hard to tell.

• The bit I can't do is chatting to other people and visiting stalls - fills me with dread! Marching I could do all day!  Grin

• I must confess that I don’t buy ethical clothing, more of a Primarni fan for it’s low cost! However, we do recycle absolutely everything that can be recycled in this house. In fact I took a car load of stuff to the refuse and recycling centre yesterday and one of the employees had my 5 year olds old trike for his little girl. Immediate effect of recycling, One small child made happy (I do hope he wasn’t planning to give it to her for Christmas!).

• I didn't attend but am becoming more conscious of my environmental impact and holding myself to higher standards.

This year I learned from Stella McCartney's article on the BBC (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-48908413) that I need to start buying clothes that are 100% natural as the artificial materials like elastane and polyester don't biodegrade well when they're thrown away.

• I have to confess, I knew nothing about it until I saw this thread - living under a rock as usual; I am a troglodyte after all!

However, I second the sentiment that it's good to see so many young people getting involved in trying to shape a better world. I do my little bit by modelling my lifestyle on the Wombles to some extent, but I do wish I had more stamina for being out in public and joining in with the activism.

• I’m glad that you enjoyed the strike event! How many people attended nationwide do you know?

• That's great. something so worth doing. So so important. I'm sure if I was there in a crowd like that too, it wouldn't have bothered me too much either.

• It was brilliant! I thought the crowds would be closer together but I stood on the periphery and even during the march it wasn't stressful. It's a shame more businesses and schools didn't close for the day but momentum is building. Lovely to see the children and teenagers making the sacrifices my generation should have.

• I would love to join the strike today. I should have looked ahead and booked a day off work to join one. My workplace is not  taking part.