If Autism could be cured, would you?

I think it's an interesting question to ask, if a cure for Autism were ever created, would you cure yourself?

It's hard for me to decide on whether or not I would cure myself, because there are positives and negatives of having Autism in my opinion.

Positives of my Autism:

• Idiosyncratic interests have led to me being very successful in certain areas.
  • Less likely to give in to peer-pressure because I really don't care about what others think in those terms.
  • Having a rigid thinking pattern and being well organised makes life easier (IMO).
  • My honesty is appreciated by some people.

Negatives of my Autism:

• My face not reflecting how I really feel, so constantly being told that I have "resting-*****-face".
  • Getting uncontrollably stressed and anxious over things that I know are stupid.
  • Sensitivity to light and sound.
  • Finding it difficult to find and maintain friendships.
  • My honesty is not appreciated by most people.
  • Laughing at things that most people don't find funny and looking like an idiot.

If my Autism disappeared, I wonder if my personality would completely change.. and if that would be for the better? If I had to give an answer right here right now, I would probably say no to a cure simply because I think I would become unrecognisable personality wise. 

Parents
  • I am still getting my head around how ASD effects me, but I think even at this point, I would much rather be ASD than NT. The more I read about NT brains the more glad I am that I'm not like that. 

• I think I agree with you Nope. I’m not sure what is my personality and what is down to autism. I cannot blame autism for bad behaviour, for instance, and not everybody can be popular or even liked. So if someone has something against me it’s because our two characters don’t gel. Sometimes I have to meet people half way. Compromise for peace. If they won’t meet me half way, then it’s not important and I have to move on. I cannot seriously blame autism for my car crash previous life. Maybe I could have fared better if others had understood my confusion etc. But I can’t blame autism for my behaviour. That’s down to me. Now I understand why it is a lot easier. 

• How do you stop the rage when you go into sensory overload and just want it to stop? Or would you think I'm just being badly behaved and should be able to control myself, snap out of it, or stop to think and reason?
    Did you never get the all encompassing passions where you *had* to be with someone?
    It almost feels as though, because you never suffer meltdowns, never misunderstand people, never *get* misunderstood, then my history of conflict and confusion are simply down to a lack of self control?

• but that's the problem. You cannot empathise or imagine my life and what causes me to lose control. What works for you, works for you. I'm not stressed most of the time, I'm calm and tranquil. It's only when things are beyond my control and other people try to impose themselves that I start to panic. If they touch me, I can't bear it.

• Perhaps I'm simply a nasty piece of work, or I indulge myself and should simply 'get a grip'.

No that is definitely not what I am saying, and definitely not true. This is why there is such a stigma over mental health because this is what our parents told us over years and years. Perhaps it would help if I gave a few examples: so I now know that bright sunlight not only causes me massive headaches but stresses me out due to the sensory overload, so I wear sunglasses pretty much all the time when I'm outside (I used to simply "get a grip and put up with it" because wearing sunglasses when it's cloudy "looks ridiculous") since doing this there has a been a huge improvement to my overall mood. Similarly, I didn't realise how much sound affects me until I bought noise cancelling headphones. Now my head isnt spinning from sound and sunlight, even this small change has a major impact on my thought processes. These are just a few examples. What do you think in particular could be leading to your outbursts? There could be a few things that lead up to them over a long period of time. Is there a way you could reduce stress so that these happen less frequently? Understand I am only offering help and advice, I am not suggesting what I've said is the right way or the only way, just suggesting some things that have helped me. 

• Also I think making assumptions about people, things and situations is something I have to stop doing. That leads to disappointment and disillusionment. Since diagnosis last year I have at least something to work on. By myself. I use books written by autistics. I am still essentially myself though. The diagnosis just helps to explain my limitations to others. Most people are too wrapped up in their own lives to notice or perhaps to remember my meltdowns etc. 

• Of course I get meltdowns etc. Damn embarrassing too!! Now I am diagnosed I can understand what happens and why. It’s not foolproof. But I can try to gain a mesure of control. Even just a little. Avoiding situations just made it worse for me. But we are all different.

I misunderstand people on a regular basis. They misunderstand me. It’s painful. But it’s my life. 

• I was 61 years old when I was eventually diagnosed. And since I cannot control the things which send me into a rage,how can I control the meltdown?
    I didn't even *realise* I wasn't like everyone else. I never compared myself and I never tried to emulate others. I wasn't even particularly unhappy unless things overwhelmed me and I wasn't able to control those things, which is when I went into mega meltdown and literally wanted to stop being alive (2 suicide attempts)
    I also have Aspergers and PDA which might explain things.
    Oddly enough, both my son and my grandson are diagnosed as being on the spectrum, I believe my brother is, and definitely believe my late father was. We all had these explosive aggressive rages. Dad called it 'The Thompson temper' and apparently my late grandfather had it too. 
    So I tend to want to be on my own in order to avoid the meltdowns as they make me feel so ill afterwards. The adrenaline in my bloodstream even after I've calmed down, leaves me shaking and wanting to throw up.
    I don't know how NT's think. I don't even care how they think.
    Right now, I don't know how *I* think because apparently I should be able to control myself and stay calm, so obviously there's something more going on with me. Perhaps I'm simply a nasty piece of work, or I indulge myself and should simply 'get a grip'............
    What a pity my late father wasn't able to beat it out of me as he tried to do with my brother too, ..........

• I was 61 years old when I was eventually diagnosed. And since I cannot control the things which send me into a rage,how can I control the meltdown?
    I didn't even *realise* I wasn't like everyone else. I never compared myself and I never tried to emulate others. I wasn't even particularly unhappy unless things overwhelmed me and I wasn't able to control those things, which is when I went into mega meltdown and literally wanted to stop being alive (2 suicide attempts)
    I also have Aspergers and PDA which might explain things.
    Oddly enough, both my son and my grandson are diagnosed as being on the spectrum, I believe my brother is, and definitely believe my late father was. We all had these explosive aggressive rages. Dad called it 'The Thompson temper' and apparently my late grandfather had it too. 
    So I tend to want to be on my own in order to avoid the meltdowns as they make me feel so ill afterwards. The adrenaline in my bloodstream even after I've calmed down, leaves me shaking and wanting to throw up.
    I don't know how NT's think. I don't even care how they think.
    Right now, I don't know how *I* think because apparently I should be able to control myself and stay calm, so obviously there's something more going on with me. Perhaps I'm simply a nasty piece of work, or I indulge myself and should simply 'get a grip'............
    What a pity my late father wasn't able to beat it out of me as he tried to do with my brother too, ..........

Children
  • but that's the problem. You cannot empathise or imagine my life and what causes me to lose control. What works for you, works for you. I'm not stressed most of the time, I'm calm and tranquil. It's only when things are beyond my control and other people try to impose themselves that I start to panic. If they touch me, I can't bear it.

• Perhaps I'm simply a nasty piece of work, or I indulge myself and should simply 'get a grip'.

No that is definitely not what I am saying, and definitely not true. This is why there is such a stigma over mental health because this is what our parents told us over years and years. Perhaps it would help if I gave a few examples: so I now know that bright sunlight not only causes me massive headaches but stresses me out due to the sensory overload, so I wear sunglasses pretty much all the time when I'm outside (I used to simply "get a grip and put up with it" because wearing sunglasses when it's cloudy "looks ridiculous") since doing this there has a been a huge improvement to my overall mood. Similarly, I didn't realise how much sound affects me until I bought noise cancelling headphones. Now my head isnt spinning from sound and sunlight, even this small change has a major impact on my thought processes. These are just a few examples. What do you think in particular could be leading to your outbursts? There could be a few things that lead up to them over a long period of time. Is there a way you could reduce stress so that these happen less frequently? Understand I am only offering help and advice, I am not suggesting what I've said is the right way or the only way, just suggesting some things that have helped me.