If Autism could be cured, would you?

I think it's an interesting question to ask, if a cure for Autism were ever created, would you cure yourself?

It's hard for me to decide on whether or not I would cure myself, because there are positives and negatives of having Autism in my opinion.

Positives of my Autism:

• Idiosyncratic interests have led to me being very successful in certain areas.
  • Less likely to give in to peer-pressure because I really don't care about what others think in those terms.
  • Having a rigid thinking pattern and being well organised makes life easier (IMO).
  • My honesty is appreciated by some people.

Negatives of my Autism:

• My face not reflecting how I really feel, so constantly being told that I have "resting-*****-face".
  • Getting uncontrollably stressed and anxious over things that I know are stupid.
  • Sensitivity to light and sound.
  • Finding it difficult to find and maintain friendships.
  • My honesty is not appreciated by most people.
  • Laughing at things that most people don't find funny and looking like an idiot.

If my Autism disappeared, I wonder if my personality would completely change.. and if that would be for the better? If I had to give an answer right here right now, I would probably say no to a cure simply because I think I would become unrecognisable personality wise. 

Parents Reply Children
  • I think I agree with you Nope. I’m not sure what is my personality and what is down to autism. I cannot blame autism for bad behaviour, for instance, and not everybody can be popular or even liked. So if someone has something against me it’s because our two characters don’t gel. Sometimes I have to meet people half way. Compromise for peace. If they won’t meet me half way, then it’s not important and I have to move on. I cannot seriously blame autism for my car crash previous life. Maybe I could have fared better if others had understood my confusion etc. But I can’t blame autism for my behaviour. That’s down to me. Now I understand why it is a lot easier.