Is autism hereditary?

Hi,  I am wondering what peoples views are on whether autism/ASD is hereditary.  My daughter, now 18, was diagnosed age 15.  Her assessment came as a result of being an inpatient for a severe eating disorder.  6 months later my son was diagnosed at age 19.  Neither my husband or myself have been diagnosed or assessed but I can't help wondering how we managed to bring our lovely children up for 15 years without picking up on the ASD.  My daughter was always anxious but it appeared to be manageable.  Retrospectively it clearly was not manageable and she ended up very ill.

Anyhow, I was wondering if the reason that we hadn't picked up on any ASD traits is because in our house eveybody's behaviors is perfectly typical.  When we discussed how they played as children both my husband and me said to the psychologist 'but doesn't everyone play like that?'.  In the tasks that they did for the ADOS they gave responses that we thought were typical responses.  My husband has always been widely regarded as eccentric but he has been very fortunate in his employment in that everyone loves him for his eccentricity (including me).  I myself am extremely introverted and hate social situations, avoiding them at all costs unless absolutely unavoidable.  So I was wondering if the reason why both my children have ASD could be because either me or my husband (or both) unknowingly have it, and maybe that is why we haven't picked it up in our children.  That is to say in our house ASD is normal and most others walking through our front door are in effect neuro atypical!   I would appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks.

Parents
  • Dear, Eleanor,

It's absolutely hereditary it's hereditary it two distinct ways.

1. Like brown curly hair eyes and,

2. Like a family recipe.

1. I would say it's like a genetic thing, like brown curly hair.

In families, everyone with a parent with brown curly and blonde parents will have children with have brown hair mostly. How curly depends on other things.

Autism is like this. Every child will have autism. How autistic will depend on the recipe to cope with stress.

2. The family recipes for coping with stress.

Their a few studies now that like stressors in childbirth with a rise on autism. Especially those that used chemicals to induce labor.

Stress at any age lowers your IQ. And for Asperger HF, this means that it will reveal masked conditions of autism. Ticks will be more obvious for example.

The recipes that a family uses to cope with stress, I therefore feel are also a factor in how autism affects one's life.

For example, the things that affect stress are job, lifestyle, family, money, and others.

If your family has an established family job, Like; everyone in your family is a doctor, engineer or teacher, it is easier to escape some stress. Where a career path is less defined it is easier to get stressed.

Putting the two things together can either use autism as a gateway to excellence or send you crashing into medical supervision. Also, the middle ground is possible. just having an average job, below your IQ, but with low stress.

• Dear, Eleanor,

It's absolutely hereditary it's hereditary it two distinct ways.

1. Like brown curly hair eyes and,

2. Like a family recipe.

1. I would say it's like a genetic thing, like brown curly hair.

In families, everyone with a parent with brown curly and blonde parents will have children with have brown hair mostly. How curly depends on other things.

Autism is like this. Every child will have autism. How autistic will depend on the recipe to cope with stress.

2. The family recipes for coping with stress.

Their a few studies now that like stressors in childbirth with a rise on autism. Especially those that used chemicals to induce labor.

Stress at any age lowers your IQ. And for Asperger HF, this means that it will reveal masked conditions of autism. Ticks will be more obvious for example.

The recipes that a family uses to cope with stress, I therefore feel are also a factor in how autism affects one's life.

For example, the things that affect stress are job, lifestyle, family, money, and others.

If your family has an established family job, Like; everyone in your family is a doctor, engineer or teacher, it is easier to escape some stress. Where a career path is less defined it is easier to get stressed.

Putting the two things together can either use autism as a gateway to excellence or send you crashing into medical supervision. Also, the middle ground is possible. just having an average job, below your IQ, but with low stress.

Children
No Data