question about disclosing at work

I was wondering if anyone might have any experiences (either positive or negative) disclosing ASD to your boss/supervisor/line manager who is from the older generation?

Asperger Syndrome wasn't discovered until the mid-1900s, and wasn't really known of by most people until maybe the past 20 years or so. So it seems plausible that some people who are from an older generation might not have heard of ASD or know much about it. And because of this, it seems quite scary to tell a boss/supervisor/line manager who is in their 60s-70s that you have ASD, because it's something that didn't really exist in their time, so there's the worry that they might not believe it. I don't know if this kind of worry makes sense. I'm afraid they might just think you're not "trying hard enough" with the social stuff, rather than it's due to autism.

Parents
  • i think work know I am different but just despise me for it. They would never be capale of adjusting, as it is they can drive an NT mad should an NT ever give a toss about their job, those that do either stop or move on and I hope to do the same. If my boss has not replied in 2 weeks to an email from me informing him that we need to accomodate the work I am doing for the company so that I stop keeping company data on my personal laptop will he ever adjust to me porsonally? nope!

• Sorry to hear that you are struggling. Yeah, I agree it can be difficult to be different, and also difficult to get adjustments. I've been looking a bit into autism-friendly employers, and can only hope it will make a difference (if I can get the job).

• The problem is some companies are just chaotically run, mine is one coupled with the fact that due to my particular interest being electronics in what is a mechanical company my work and maybe I am viewed as a neccessary evil. So nothing is taken seriously and to be honest i have also stopped taking anything seriously.

• I honestly don't think electronics is easy! There are people studying PhDs in this field, and there's so much to learn and so many new things yet to be developed. It's also a competitive job market as well, and it requires a lot of skill and knowledge to find a job in this area. 

• The problem with electronics is that it's all so tiny and the media make it look easy and this internet of things BS has people beleiving that they can actually buy a development kit and have a "product" up and running in 5 minutes. All very well and good for personal projects but in the real world where you have to mae 100's as cheaply as possible there is a lot of legwork to get there but when most people look at a final product they don't get the work that goes into it.

• The problem with electronics is that it's all so tiny and the media make it look easy and this internet of things BS has people beleiving that they can actually buy a development kit and have a "product" up and running in 5 minutes. All very well and good for personal projects but in the real world where you have to mae 100's as cheaply as possible there is a lot of legwork to get there but when most people look at a final product they don't get the work that goes into it.

Children
  • I honestly don't think electronics is easy! There are people studying PhDs in this field, and there's so much to learn and so many new things yet to be developed. It's also a competitive job market as well, and it requires a lot of skill and knowledge to find a job in this area.