question about disclosing at work

I was wondering if anyone might have any experiences (either positive or negative) disclosing ASD to your boss/supervisor/line manager who is from the older generation?

Asperger Syndrome wasn't discovered until the mid-1900s, and wasn't really known of by most people until maybe the past 20 years or so. So it seems plausible that some people who are from an older generation might not have heard of ASD or know much about it. And because of this, it seems quite scary to tell a boss/supervisor/line manager who is in their 60s-70s that you have ASD, because it's something that didn't really exist in their time, so there's the worry that they might not believe it. I don't know if this kind of worry makes sense. I'm afraid they might just think you're not "trying hard enough" with the social stuff, rather than it's due to autism.

• I declared after a diagnosis in my late 40s. I've always had work based struggles that are clearly linked to being Autistic and unaware of it. Have been treated for depression / anxiety (which I declared on applying) for decades.

Had to fight for an occupational health referral. Reasonable adjustments were agreed, but not followed properly.

Currently in the midst of a disability discrimination grievance as a consequence.

I think a positive / negative experience of disclosing really depends on the manager / workplace.

• Ive mostly adjusted to the change now but no, I don’t think they have any regard for my diagnosis or what it really looks like in practise.  Maybe I should give them a copy of the diagnosis to remind them ;)

I’m just hoping I’m not moved again in September, I’ve even been moved across school sites before!

• Sorry to interrupt. Can they really move you at such short notice?

I only ask because I was moved in my job, not education, It was 6 years ago and I had only been in post 3 weeks, I was basically told, you move or find another job! Thats the NHS for you the 'caring' profession, caring my Ar**.

I feel your pain. Maybe get the union involved?

• Yes but we both know they are Di*ks!

• Ditto for me:-

As far as some of my colleagues go, they have been brilliant and accept me for me, quirks and all but senior management not so, I think my difference scares them. I think they see me as a problem that needs to be solved

You are the high maintenance problem that we want rid of but the wider network of colleagues can see it all.  The Damagement have said/done things that backfire and now feel uncomfortable that I remember them - thus it is easier to promote the deception that I am lying.

• I disclosed to a few, mainly because I felt I needed to explain why I maybe didn't fit with the normal NT version of work by this I mean, banter, getting together after work, gossip. I just don't get it and it was causing me problems and I was isolating myself, although in hindsight the problems were more to do with me in my head, I did feel better for it initially but am since having some quite serious problems at work so I'm now re- evaluating whether it was the right thing to do?

As far as some of my colleagues go, they have been brilliant and accept me for me, quirks and all but senior management not so, I think my difference scares them. I think they see me as a problem that needs to be solved, that said, for everything bad that has happened over the last few months I now know I do have some really good friends at work in my colleagues which I didn't realise before

• Yeah, I can totally understand. This is quite a big change, and so unexpected! It'd be more thoughtful to give a couple of weeks' notice. I hope you are feeling better today. How did it go?

• Thanks for your thoughtful response.  Yes, I’m okay changing year groups but it was so sudden and unexpected (mid week, mid term?!) that I was thrown. Sadly I wasn’t that articulate yesterday and feel a bit embarrassed that I flapped.  They are aware I struggle with change but perhaps thought a day was enough to process it.  It usually would be but not this change... ive been up all night with a knot of worry in my stomach ahhh! 

• That's very short notice! They only told you today that you are going to a different year tomorrow? 

It might be that they just aren't aware enough of the difficulties around autism. It might have helped you more if they told you many weeks in advance, so you can prepare yourself mentally for it, and slowly adjust to the fact that change will occur, so it wouldn't all seem so sudden. I'm guessing your panic is mainly due to the suddenness, even though you probably have the skill to teach a different year? Perhaps you can find a way to explain to them kindly that unexpected changes can be something hard for you to deal with. You can explain that you are happy to go to a different year, but would appreciate more advanced notice due to autism.

• Perhaps I spoke too soon! I work in a school and have been quite happy with a certain year but today was told that as of tomorrow I will be going into a different year. Cue panic and a meltdown which the head seemed to think I was over reacting about ahhh Disappointed:(  I truly wish I wasn't this way, I feel such a nuisance and misunderstood. 

• I think it may vary with academics too. It often takes a lot of luck to stay in academia. And I feel that those who are fortunate enough (to have a lot of support and opportunities when they were doing their degree) don't really appreciate how difficult it can be for the less fortunate. They often think their success is due to their effort. Some can be quite condescending when it comes to disabilities like autism or dyslexia, and might think asking for adjustments is an act of being lazy. So their reasoning might be to not give adjustments so that the student can learn more.

I think the personal laptop reply is for photonic_electrons from an earlier reply.

I think the assistive technology is a good idea. I don't have any problems around my personal laptop though. I don't have a lot of work stuff saved on it - I usually just use Remote Desktop to access what I need on my work computer.

• I honestly don't think electronics is easy! There are people studying PhDs in this field, and there's so much to learn and so many new things yet to be developed. It's also a competitive job market as well, and it requires a lot of skill and knowledge to find a job in this area. 

• Yeah, that makes sense.

• Congratulations on getting Access to Work! Just curious, how long does it take between signing up and receiving support?

• That does sound complicated! I do agree that poor organisational governance is a big problem. It's a problem all over the place. I think it's also a problem in the place I am as well. I'm glad to hear that your AS doesn't prevent you from doing the job well - it's a sign that you are competent and talented. It's unfortunate that poor organisational governance is causing you so much stress. I hope your next job will have a better management structure.