Autism and dogs

Hi, I live on my own and have, with careful planning, decided to get a dog. She’s 1 1/2 years old. I’ve had her a week now and she is everything I could have wanted. I go out and talk to people in which I never did before. The problem being that I’m struggling to deal with the life style change and change to routine. I know it was part in parcel of having her but it still didn’t prepare me for the emotions it has brought with it.  I just wanted to ask if it gets easier or any tips on coping. Thank you in advance 

Parents
  • Things will get easier, and it sounds like you have a lot of feeling, and an air of responsiblity towards her. That is going to be motivating. If you ask me you seem to have done each other a lot of good in a week! A WEEK! I'd take pride in the fact that you've done so much in a week.

I had a dog, and walking him was great. If you take your dog to the same places regularly there seems to be a sense of community between dogwalkers, and their dogs, lol! I met a lot of very nice people on my dog walks who I still speak to when I see them.

I hope things carry on going good for you both!

• Thank you so much. Is so very nice of you to say. Today marks a week and I do love her to bits. She’s all I ever wanted. I know it’s me struggling to adapt but after posting this yes I feel some what reasurred it won’t always be difficult. I’m also trying going to the same places and she seems much more confident because she know where she’s going and started to be less scared

• No problem Nicola! I'm just glad to hear that it's all a positive experience for you both!

I’m also trying going to the same places and she seems much more confident because she know where she’s going and started to be less scared

I think your energy is sort of in sync with your dog. She's getting more at ease and so are you. I used to walk my dog for miles after a while, he was from a dogs home, and was very, very scared. He'd been abused, he had a big burn on his nose, and was very thin when I got him. He was terrified of men, even me at first. He got over it all, he was a pretty energetic mix of breeds, so he used to end up walking me! I ended up walking miles some days.

What breed is she?

• Thank you. I’m trying my very best. I bet that was so lovely to see him wag. I think it shows more that she’s had such a horrible start in life but even after all that your hard work has paid off as she’s back to the dog she always should have been. Yes I’d agree too. Some days she’s hyper more and others she’s chilled and relaxed. Keeping me on my toes to say the least 

• This is so lovely Nicola - Bella has found herself in a really good home! It took several weeks for Izzy to wag her tail. I was so excited when she finally did it. To begin with she showed no interest in other dogs but now she will sniff them. She even wanted to play with a spaniel she met who was dashing about really excited! Every day brings something new when you are living with a dog. She is still a little nervous but nothing like she was before. 

• This is so lovely Nicola - Bella has found herself in a really good home! It took several weeks for Izzy to wag her tail. I was so excited when she finally did it. To begin with she showed no interest in other dogs but now she will sniff them. She even wanted to play with a spaniel she met who was dashing about really excited! Every day brings something new when you are living with a dog. She is still a little nervous but nothing like she was before. 

Children
  • Thank you. I’m trying my very best. I bet that was so lovely to see him wag. I think it shows more that she’s had such a horrible start in life but even after all that your hard work has paid off as she’s back to the dog she always should have been. Yes I’d agree too. Some days she’s hyper more and others she’s chilled and relaxed. Keeping me on my toes to say the least