Autism and dogs

Hi, I live on my own and have, with careful planning, decided to get a dog. She’s 1 1/2 years old. I’ve had her a week now and she is everything I could have wanted. I go out and talk to people in which I never did before. The problem being that I’m struggling to deal with the life style change and change to routine. I know it was part in parcel of having her but it still didn’t prepare me for the emotions it has brought with it.  I just wanted to ask if it gets easier or any tips on coping. Thank you in advance 

Parents
  • Hi Nicola it is so lovely to hear about your dog. I am sure as time goes on you will settle into a routine together. My last dog lived to 12.5 years old and his routine changed slightly as he got older and developed heart problems. When he was younger he was very lively but lovable although the postman wouldn't agree with this!

I adopted a six year old dog 12 weeks ago. As time has gone in she has got more settled. She can be quite demanding sometimes - whining and seeking attention for no obvious reason. She has been walked and fed, gone to the loo and I am not sure what she wants. If that coincides with me feeling tired or overwhelmed it can be difficult. I often ending up putting her on my lap where she sleeps for hours at a time!

On days like today when it is cold and rainy I like the fact that my dog makes me get up and go out. She is also a great talking point with other people. We have found some nice dog friendly cafes and pubs to go to. If I find it too much I can always go out for a short walk with her.

In my experience having a dog gets easier and easier, unless they get ill which is hard. I am sure you will have a lovely time together. A week is a very short time for her to settle down. It took my dog a few weeks to wag her tail and I was so thrilled when she finally did!

• Thank you very much for your positive words. She’s is a lovely little girl and I feel very guilty that I’m more stressed than happy but it’s very reassuring to hear everyone’s comments that it gets easier 

• My little dog has meltdowns when she gets overtired. I am beginning to wonder if animals can be autistic. Off to Google it now! A cat would be quieter but would not get me out of the house as much as my dog does. She is called Izzy (she came with that name). 

• Lovely name Bella! We had a cat called Tigger for many years. He died when he was 14. I have always loved animals - they can be so affectionate and I find them easy to spend time with. 

Reply Children
No Data