I want to understand about autistic adults difficulties which they face in workplace.

Hello everyone,

I am postgraduate student and I am working on a project to understand about

difficulties faced by autistic adults in their day to day life particularly in workplace.

By research, I came to know that autistic adults are facing a lot of problems in workplace,

but I am not clear about what exact problems they face. I want to create awareness

about their problems in offices so that they get maximum support at workplace. By doing so,

the gap between autistic adults and their colleagues may disappear.

Hopefully, everyone will start understanding them better. If anyone knows about it,

could you please help me in understanding about their problems?

• I'm currently dealing with some issues which thankfully higher management are taking seriously. I was diagnosed 6 months ago *at 30*

I was off work for a day due to medications increase right after being off for two weeks when I tried to commit suicide. 

During my back to work meeting I was asked when i thought i was going to get better, why couldn't i give specifics to why I couldn't say if i could make every shift and had a medical professional said I was okay to have a job.  This would have been bad enough if I hadn't been working for this company with no complains apart form my absence level for 8 years. 

We work in teams and the one I'm in now barely speak to me. They talk behind me back when they think I cant hear them as have earphones in due to sensory issues around noise levels. They ignore me, exclude me from stupid things like anyone want anything from shop or canteen. I have ADD as well as autism so I know i'm an oddball and can be hard to work with but I'm extremely open and honest which apparently translates to attention seeking?

• Hmm. You can't take them to Employment Tribunal, but you still have a couple of months to put in a discrimination claim under the Equality Act. There is the Equality Advisory Service or you might find some no-win no-fee lawyers, maybe these. (I am not a lawyer, and only lawyers can give legal advice.)

• After seeking legal advice I was told it was discrimination, but due to only having been there 3 months there was nothing I could do 

• I think I'm being set up to fail. I've been told that he "doesn't believe in autism", from which I can guess he thinks autistic people are lazy and / or stupid. This would also explain why we can devote afternoons or even entire days to fund-raising for cancer charities, but me selling my books to raise money for the NAS to staff during my lunch breaks is "inappropriate".

I'm wondering how exactly he's qualified for his position.

But I've been offered no other coping strategies, so I'm going to seek medical assistance for the depression I am now experiencing.

• I agree - seems like bull **** to me.

• This looks like outright discrimination to me. Unless discussing your personal life is part of the job specification, the activity should be optional.

If anything, your bosses are untrustworthy.

• I always believe you should keep work and your private life separately and it drives me nuts when people love to just gossip about nonsense at work.  Surely they should be praising the fact they you are working hard rather than chit chatting?  And people are bewildered as to why productivity levels have dropped....

• Hmmm I would like to know how the branch manager has come to the conclusion that your coping strategies are inappropriate.  That would surely require an understanding of your struggles and what it would mean to remove them or replace them with alternative strategies - something they clearly haven't done.

• Sorry to hear it.

I am still on sick leave from my new job.  Not sure if I'm going back.

• Last month I lost my job because I am autistic. I was told that my bosses could not trust me because I do not discuss my personal life - something I was never aware I was supposed to do. Maybe I missed some social clues? I do not go to work to chat to people. I go to work to do my job. I think a lot of people at my last job were chatterboxes and only wanted someone to talk to not work with

• You are a dreamer, but good luck with that one.

• I'm quite often given more details than I can remember (usually from the same person) even though everyone has been told to set me tasks using an electronic messaging system.

Then when I get told off when I've forgotten something important even though it was never written down.

• Hey guys, I wanted to understand how do you feel when lots of information is given to you? 

Do you feel pressurised?

It would be great if you guys could please share about your feelings.

Thanks so much.

• The union has told me to comply with the ban, but I'll look into the equality act.

• Sorry to hear you've been treated badly by incompetent management. Your 'coping mechanisms' sound reasonable and positive for the organisation. Are you a member of a union? Have you considered putting in your own grievance - presumably you could city Equality Act provisions, and suggest a way forward suitable for you.

• You are not alone.

I also struggle in the workplace.

Noises and forced to be around people affect me negatively.

• I've been having problems at work since a change of management. To start with, the team I worked with has been cut down to just me, while retaining the vast majority of the workload.

I also have to appease managers who are based in a head office in another city, while also meeting the needs of my colleagues in the site where I work on a day-to-day basis.

My communication skills have been cited as where I fall short; skills a person on the autistic spectrum disorder such as myself typically has difficulty with, especially when they feel uncomfortable.

On top of this, my coping mechanisms have been deemed "inappropriate" by the branch manager, who has banned me from meeting with the people I trust, who for just 15 minutes a day, could encourage me to give my all to my work. Without them, I'm a crying, screaming mess in a store cupboard who has to come out only when required and put on a brave face so as not to upset people.

Due to my increasing failure to meet standards, I have been put on a capability review and I face losing my job.

• Get rid of thr workplace bullies. These people only need to take one look to recognise a vulnerable person. It should also be made compulsory in every workplace that employs a person on the spectrum to be given training about the differences between AS and NT brains. Until this happens most people will continue to consider us as retarded.

• sorry guys, files are not getting uploaded here. However, I am going to put my work on behance. Everyone can have a look there.

The link to my behance page:

https://www.behance.net/surabhishrbad7

Sorry for the inconvenience.