I want to understand about autistic adults difficulties which they face in workplace.

Hello everyone,

I am postgraduate student and I am working on a project to understand about

difficulties faced by autistic adults in their day to day life particularly in workplace.

By research, I came to know that autistic adults are facing a lot of problems in workplace,

but I am not clear about what exact problems they face. I want to create awareness

about their problems in offices so that they get maximum support at workplace. By doing so,

the gap between autistic adults and their colleagues may disappear.

Hopefully, everyone will start understanding them better. If anyone knows about it,

could you please help me in understanding about their problems?

Parents
  • For a lot of people, work problems include sensory sensitivities including strip lighting, noises or smells, decoding office politics, having to make pleasantries and conforming. I don't think I have any of those problems (but then my self-monitoring is really poor), but rather the problem is not being able to say what the problem is.  In my case it's quite elusive.

I do find switching attention difficult: working on a computer I can have too many different tasks vying for attention. My executive function is not good - I can be self-motivated, but then question myself about whether I was motivated to do the right thing or got distracted.  I can stay very late at work. I have had meltdowns when I've felt I'm persistently not being understood. A lot of it is self-doubt, possibly unjustified, and doubt about how worthwhile some of the role or organisation is. There's no opportunity to talk about those kinds of things.  I can make banter and be very co-operative, but I'm not great at making friends - I probably appear shy or standoffish.

Before my diagnosis, I had to take time off with depression: I was forcing myself to work at something with whatever the opposite of enthusiasm is, maybe a kind of internalised 'PDA'; I thought I wanted to do a work task, but I couldn't make myself do it, possibly because of anxiety that I'm not aware of.  These are all quite internal things, perhaps because I'm lucky enough to work in a good progressive organisation and my colleagues are all nice.

• For a lot of people, work problems include sensory sensitivities including strip lighting, noises or smells, decoding office politics, having to make pleasantries and conforming. I don't think I have any of those problems (but then my self-monitoring is really poor), but rather the problem is not being able to say what the problem is.  In my case it's quite elusive.

I do find switching attention difficult: working on a computer I can have too many different tasks vying for attention. My executive function is not good - I can be self-motivated, but then question myself about whether I was motivated to do the right thing or got distracted.  I can stay very late at work. I have had meltdowns when I've felt I'm persistently not being understood. A lot of it is self-doubt, possibly unjustified, and doubt about how worthwhile some of the role or organisation is. There's no opportunity to talk about those kinds of things.  I can make banter and be very co-operative, but I'm not great at making friends - I probably appear shy or standoffish.

Before my diagnosis, I had to take time off with depression: I was forcing myself to work at something with whatever the opposite of enthusiasm is, maybe a kind of internalised 'PDA'; I thought I wanted to do a work task, but I couldn't make myself do it, possibly because of anxiety that I'm not aware of.  These are all quite internal things, perhaps because I'm lucky enough to work in a good progressive organisation and my colleagues are all nice.

Children
No Data