I want to understand about autistic adults difficulties which they face in workplace.

Hello everyone,

I am postgraduate student and I am working on a project to understand about

difficulties faced by autistic adults in their day to day life particularly in workplace.

By research, I came to know that autistic adults are facing a lot of problems in workplace,

but I am not clear about what exact problems they face. I want to create awareness

about their problems in offices so that they get maximum support at workplace. By doing so,

the gap between autistic adults and their colleagues may disappear.

Hopefully, everyone will start understanding them better. If anyone knows about it,

could you please help me in understanding about their problems?

Parents
  • Agree with all the comments, I will add a couple:

• Pointless and patronising questions like "How are you feeling", autistic nightmare question which will certainly provoke a response "I'm fine" followed by at least 1/2 an hour of anxiety.
    • Meetings with more than 3 people in them, which are entirely pointless anyway but doubly pointless for anybody with ASD or ADHD
    • Any "giltchy" communications, phones were terrible but were 100% superior to glitchy/jittery skype calls. 
    • In general having to explain deeply technical things to NT's is pretty pointless because NT's can't understand technology, they might as well give up trying and just sell the stuff.
    • Being expected to talk to anybody who is not immediately relevant to the problem I am trying to solve.
  • I don't mind the how are you, I'm fine thing, but when they ask how you are and you say I'm fine, then they start interrogating you: "just fine?" and then you have no idea how to answer that. Do they genuinely care about your life, or are they simply trying to fulfill their own need to have everyone around them appearing to be smiling and happy so they can feel good as well?

In my experience, NTs are more content when you are miserable but force a smile and pretend to be happy than when you are actually feeling good but don't openly express it. What a strange way to interact with the world, intentionally engaging in self-delusion just to be able to get through the day!

Even with all the BS we have to take from the rest of the world, I'm glad not to be NT!

• I don't mind the how are you, I'm fine thing, but when they ask how you are and you say I'm fine, then they start interrogating you: "just fine?" and then you have no idea how to answer that. Do they genuinely care about your life, or are they simply trying to fulfill their own need to have everyone around them appearing to be smiling and happy so they can feel good as well?

In my experience, NTs are more content when you are miserable but force a smile and pretend to be happy than when you are actually feeling good but don't openly express it. What a strange way to interact with the world, intentionally engaging in self-delusion just to be able to get through the day!

Even with all the BS we have to take from the rest of the world, I'm glad not to be NT!

Children
No Data