Have you bought a dog for autistic child?

After lots and lots of research we decided last weekend to go choose a puppy for our son. We took him with us and thoroughly enjoyed playing with the mum dog. We collect puppy in a few weeks. Since telling people we are getting a therm we've had some really negative feedback and people saying we are taking on too much. I know a puppy will be hard work but there are many reasons why we are getting one for my son. People's comments have hurt me. We are getting a golden retriever cross labrador as that's what had bed. Recommended to you'd by several parties. Have you bought a body for your autistic child? If so how has it benefitted them?

• All pets are beneficial to everyone - be sure to consult the sellers as to giving your pet the correct food and space and exercise and stimulation. Treat your pet as a person just as intelligent as yourself and they shall be a benefit of course. Remember that a puppy will one day grow into an ADULT dog, just like anything else.

Buying a cute dog for a cute child is very very easy. Children are cute and so is a puppy. Those of us who are Autistic ADULTS are no longer cute and are treated as if not allowed to have a PET or to even SEE REAL ANIMALS anywhere ever. Pets of any kind (cats, birds, reptiles) are of course very GOOD. But whoever reads this, don't automatically assume that because you NEED a pet, that anyone will allow you to have one. 

Your child is very lucky to be getting a pet: the pet will be remain his FRIEND no matter what other things happen to him in his life: be sure and get ANOTHER pet in case something happens to this first one!

• Smile good thing is, the dog can be a functional learning role,, ie feeding, bathing, walking it etc,, good for confidence and security long-term, as they say autism primary emotion is fear, so a dog is good company for fear.,, the ancient name for a dog is called Solace, which translates into meaning "heart and company for humanity in grief" . I would call the dog SOLACE, a friend of the son Smile

• i think its a great idea. if anything you should be praised for taking more on, unselfishly, for your son. to help him. we have a cat. but would love a dog one day. i have 4 children, so its a no to a dog for another 5 yrs or so.

go for it. its your life, and only you know whats best for your boy xx

• We have a border terrier who is much adored by our 3 year old son. He has grown up with her. I think a dog can teach children quite a lot. One of the few times he actually sits still is when our dog is sat next to him on the settee!He loves stroking her, playing fetch and her licking him...yuck!

I don't think you will regret buying one and your son certainly won't if he's anything like our little boy.

I seriously think if anything ever happened to our little doggy, we would have to buy another.

Here's to your sons best friend for life xxxx

• I think it is a great idea. You are getting the best breed of dog for your kid as well. You are doing the right thing, and yes it will be more work at the start, but give it a couple of months when the pup is trained and you will reap the benefits - I have 8 dogs, 7 outside and one in the house, my son loves them and I think they really help him. Dont listen to negative opinions, even if they are well meaning.

Enjoy your pup ;)

• Hi Han86

I think it's a great idea you getting a dog for your child.

I am autistic and having a pet has always made a difference in my life and others in this forum will agree with me. A dog gets you out, gives you confidence, helps with communication skills, all sorts.

Yes at first the puppy will be hard work but I think it will be worth it in the long run if you can get through the first few months.

When I was little, it was the family dog that got me talking, walking and doing stuff I never would have done otherwise. I have a cat now and he has no tail but he's great!

He's called Bill.

Enjoy the new addition to your family and let us know how things go.

Muckworm Smile