Have you bought a dog for autistic child?

After lots and lots of research we decided last weekend to go choose a puppy for our son. We took him with us and thoroughly enjoyed playing with the mum dog. We collect puppy in a few weeks. Since telling people we are getting a therm we've had some really negative feedback and people saying we are taking on too much. I know a puppy will be hard work but there are many reasons why we are getting one for my son. People's comments have hurt me. We are getting a golden retriever cross labrador as that's what had bed. Recommended to you'd by several parties. Have you bought a body for your autistic child? If so how has it benefitted them?

Parents
  • Hi Han86

I think it's a great idea you getting a dog for your child.

I am autistic and having a pet has always made a difference in my life and others in this forum will agree with me. A dog gets you out, gives you confidence, helps with communication skills, all sorts.

Yes at first the puppy will be hard work but I think it will be worth it in the long run if you can get through the first few months.

When I was little, it was the family dog that got me talking, walking and doing stuff I never would have done otherwise. I have a cat now and he has no tail but he's great!

He's called Bill.

Enjoy the new addition to your family and let us know how things go.

Muckworm Smile

• Hi Han86

I think it's a great idea you getting a dog for your child.

I am autistic and having a pet has always made a difference in my life and others in this forum will agree with me. A dog gets you out, gives you confidence, helps with communication skills, all sorts.

Yes at first the puppy will be hard work but I think it will be worth it in the long run if you can get through the first few months.

When I was little, it was the family dog that got me talking, walking and doing stuff I never would have done otherwise. I have a cat now and he has no tail but he's great!

He's called Bill.

Enjoy the new addition to your family and let us know how things go.

Muckworm Smile

Children
No Data