~ Photography And Pictures ... (And Pictures Disappearing in this Forum?)

Glad Tidings to All. I have two good reasons to begin this Thread:

One is to discuss Photography in general. I myself am told that I am "good at it", yet I would not claim to be "Professional" at it.

I start this Thread a lot for the sake of Posting Pictures and discussing such things, if that is alright...?

My Second reason for beginning this Thread is... Pictures tend to "disappear" after a while upon this Forum...! And so this is attempt at a Thread specifically addressing Pictures Posted Here.

I shall start with at least one... of 'Interesting Cloud Formations Over Where I am' (In London): 

• To Mr MathPhotographer...  ;-)

Please Post some more Pictures here. I was going to "mention" your good self, yet cannot do so despite following the given instructions... thus I Reply instead and this should be as a "notification", perhaps... 

Thank You Kindly.

• From the top of the Nelson Monument on Calton Hill in Edinburgh.  A good climb to the top, but well worth it for the view.  It is something I love to do, climbing to the top of church towers (by the winding staircases) for the view, even though I am not as young as I used to be.  Taken with a full-frame 'Fish-Eye' lens.

• Greetings to TrainSpotter. Of course I understand what you say (including the "Alice" quote.)... I shall somewhat finalise what I said. The subject does not matter - here - yes, that is true.

...Yet some may be a little reluctant to Post, or are technically unable.(They cannot shrink Picture Size to less than 800x800 Pixels, or cannot "Flatten", or convert to JPEG... or even know what any of that sort of thing means...?)

...In this Forum, Pictures of people are not really allowed. (Most of my own pictures are of people who stalk or harrass me, see my UserName.)

...Although I began this Thread, I am in support of the general thought that it features only pictures taken by oneself...? (A reply from NAS would be nice, here, yet, well, it is the weekend, now...)

To close this Post: it is *not* meant as hostile or a complaint. I was just pointing out somethings... thus here as if in peace offering (!), is another NHM Picture. A Gallimimus Skeleton.:

• Thankyou, Lonewarrior. Nice to know those pics are appreciated.

And it matters not a jot to me whether other people's pictures are technically perfect. What matters is that they meant something to the person that took them and they got pleasure from it. So please post.

• AMAZING ! Wow what a perfectly caught image,you manage to add so much feelingvtobyour pictures,wether it be just by picking the right time or lighting or even using effects by computer, it matters not how just that you manage to give more depth and feeling to each.

you certainly have a talent.

thank you.

and if I could actually get decent images to upload I may add a few myself. Minevtend to be more factual in nature, meaning objects of mechanical type, tools,machines,buildings, Also I just point and shoot, so plenty of bad pictures and very rarely one that looks good.

thank you for brightening my day each time I look at them.

x()x

• The whole beauty of photography is that it is both driven by other interests and it drives other interests.

So as  someone interested in  Steam Railways I try to get some nice pictures of steam railways. As someone interested in history, I visit churches, abbey and castles and take pictures of them. I also take pictures of items there and then learn as much about them as I can. I see patterns and bits of things and think they would make a nice picture. I look for nice textures and the way light and shadow are making interesting effects. I also look at other pictures to see if I can get ideas, not to copy the picture but to get a bit of inspiration.

I love the sight of early morning mist over a river or lake or in a valley. The way the early or late sun shows off nature's sculpture in the hills.The way a photograph can evoke memories of a time or event long gone and which otherwise only exists in the deepest recesses of the mind.

So  please do post about dinosaurs in the thread.And boats, and shoes and ships, and sealing wax, and whether pigs have wings. And a photograph which will illustrate your thoughts and ideas. Let it drive the imagination to destinations otherwise unknown..

• My rules for photography are simple.  If you don't take a picture it you won't get one.  So whatever the light it is worth having a go.  And lighting is all photography is about.  And using any conditions to the best advantage you can.

Excellent Post, Thank You Kindly.

------------

The rest of this Post has little to do with Photography, and is about Dinosaurs, and myself nitpicking... I would like to start a Dinosaur Thread, had I not begun so many other Threads already...

Brontosaurus is renamed Apatosaurus. The skeleton (replica) is as I said, a Diplodocus, nicknamed "Dippy". Both Dinosaurs look similar and so people do get them mixed up... 

...Eeeek! Please do not throw that Camera-Lens at me - it is not my fault that I am one of those funny persons who is "obsessed with Dinosaurs"...! Look at this instead...

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/take-part/dippy-on-tour.html

• A while since I went to the Natural History Museum.  First time was when I went with school in 1964 on a steam train which took two and a quarter hours to get to Euston, which was slow even then (it was a specially chartered train).  I remember the Brontosaurus (as it was known then) as you entered the museum.

My rules for photography are simple.  If you don't take a picture it you won't get one.  So whatever the light it is worth having a go.  And lighting is all photography is about.  And using any conditions to the best advantage you can.

• Maxstoke Castle in Warwickshire is my picture for today.  A Norman Castle which is not normally open to the public but only open for specially booked events or one day for the National Gardens Scheme.

• Just to show that I CAN do better, here is one of my better ones, of the front of the Allosaurus Skeleton (Less Contrast, and so a better picture):

• Greetings TrainSpotter, I was unable to log on last night, due to Personal Circumstances. (If they happen again I shall specify someplace. :-( )... Yet what I wanted to say was...

I do wonder if there are not that many Photographers in this whole Forum apart from yourself and Mr. Robert123... Anyone else may be semi-professional, like myself, and others may be willing yet upon seeing what is Posted so far, a little unwilling, sort of...

To reply to your Dinosaurs Picture, I shall post this:

The entrance Lobby of London's Natural History Museum, when the Diplodocus Skeleton ("Dippy") was still present. Now it is a Whale, yet I have not visited since then.

With regards to my own pictures, I have either Thames Tall Ships Festival, or a tour of NHM Dinosaurs (almost 10 years ago!). I began this Thread to attract Pictures, and yet, well... we see how many other persons are and are not contributing...? I do not know what to do about other people. (And in the Summer I may not be here at all.)

Here is an Iguanodon Skeleton. The lighting is not optimal, and it is difficult to get into position for good lighting (because I do not work for the NHM)!:

• This is not meant to be just a gallery of my photographs.  So lets see some others, but I will keep posting to keep this thread alive!

• Talking of Dinosaurs, thought I'd add this one.  In the grounds of Crystal Palace are some Victorian examples of dinosaurs.  I remember seeing the Crystal Palace Dinosaurs when I was young in a book of London, and they were featured on an edition of Blue Peter when Christopher Trace was a presenter.  The pictures used to look so realistic to me.  How times have changed!

• Cross polarisation is a polarised light source shone through a transparent object and photographed through a polarised filter

Okay, got it. Thank You for that Reply. I do not know what else to say about it, and so that is all I think. I reeeally wanted a Wild Parakeet picture ( not from the general Internet)... I suppose I mught have to try to take it for myself! They are fast, and noisy. And Cute.

I shall have to Post some more of my own pictures here sometime, yet mostly what I have is Tall Ships Festival and Natural History Museum Dinosaur Exhibits. Thanks muchly again.

• Not got a picture of 'wild' parakeets, none round where I live and they have been a bit fast in my travels to the sunny south!

Cross polarisation is a polarised light source shone through a transparent object and photographed through a polarised filter.

If you have some polarising sunglasses (or a polarising filter, quite cheap from Amazon or 7 day shop, if you look through them at your computer screen and rotate the sunglasses the computer screen will turn black.  If you put some clear plastic between the computer and the sunglasses and have a look while you rotate the sunglasses you will see the stress patterns on the plastic.  You can also try things like fruit gums, they won't show up stress patterns but their colours will be rich and saturated if the computer screen is bright enough to shine through and the background light will turn black.

Using Polarising filters on your camera will turn the sky darker opposite the sun.  If you use the 'rule of thumb' by extending your thumb and forefinger and standing with your back to the sun, point your thumb at the sun and the darkest bit of scky will be where your forefinger is pointing in a slight arc but you will get the idea.

Hope this is illuminating!

• Thanks, I should Post, although it seems that not many other persons are Posting to this Thread...

Given opportunity, I ask again if you may have any pictures of Wild-Living Parakeets? 

Yet, concerning this "Cross Polarisation" Business, I may know something or nothing about "Polarisation": Is it possible to take a picture of a bag of Sugar, (mostly Levulose) and then Dextrose (E.g. Tablets) in this manner? Also is it possible to Photograph in this manner, a living thing, such as a Leaf still attatched to the Tree, and then a dead thing such as a leaf or a picked flower? Also, using Polarised Photography, it is possible to photograph the Sky, and there should be a dark Blue band visible which indicates the Time/position of the Sun. That is what I myself know about "Polarising Photography". No joke.

Thank You anyway (Ending Post because it may become long).

• I'll keep the pictures coming .... take one a day before bedtime!

so todays picture is Instruments of Maths Instruciton, another one of cross polarisation taken with a cheap Fuji Compact Camera.

• One of the other things apart from railways I am interested in is castles and churches and abbeys and the interesting bits of sculpture one can find.  So today I am including a rather splendid example of a 'Green Man' from Maxstoke Castle near Coleshill in Warwickshire, a pagan looking symbol often found in churches but also in castles and can be found throughout Europe and Asia.  There are more examples of the 'Green Man' in churches than the depiction of Christ, often hidden away high up in ceilings and in nooks and crannies.

who

• To Mr LoneWarrior... 

I cannot recall where exactly it was that the topic of "Picture Software for an iPad was discussed, and so I attempt reply, here. I myself do not use a "Credit Card" upon the Internet either. What I do is open an account, buy Gift Cards, and then add the money in that manner. Perhaps this may "help"...

Yet as I said then, if you are alright with using the Internet, then Adobe Photoshop Touch is what I myself use, BUT - my version is from around five years ago, and I have not dared use the Internet upon my own iPad since then!  Hopefully others reading can recommend some other Software, please...?