Struggling after being told I am not Autistic

Hi, I’m going to try and keep this short.

I recently had an assessment with Psychiatry UK where I was basically told I don’t struggle enough to have a diagnosis even though I do have autistic traits.

I have felt different my whole life and just cannot accept this as an answer. I am a woman in my early 20’s and I am aware of the fact that often women go undiagnosed because of outdated concepts as well as masking.

Has anyone else been in my situation before? And if so, how did you eventually get your diagnosis?

Thank you in advance, I’m feeling lost.

Parents
  • I have felt different my whole life and just cannot accept this as an answer

It helps to bare in mind that the label of autism given out by these assessments is about whether you are affected by your neurodiverse traits enough to meet the threshold of being disabled.

Neurodiversity is a spectrum which means you have a number of different traits, each at a level of impact on your life. If you have enough at a high enough level then you qualify as disabled.

You are quite probably still neurodivers but not badly enough effected to meet the threshold value that has been somewhat arbitarily chosen.

In essence, you are autistic but not enough to need help.

You are still capable of suffering from your traits so I would advise to consider yourself as autistic and look up the traits you exhibit and learn how to manage them and improve your quality of life.

Look at the posts here, contribute, ask questions and learn - that is what this site is for, and also for some social chit chat sometimes Slight smile

We will still consider you as one of us if that means anything.

• Hi, thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it! I just feel as though what I do struggle with wasn’t really mentioned or spoken about. I know it might sound silly, but the reason why I went for a diagnosis was for validation of my feelings and  experiences I have had and do have. I just wanted there to be an explanation for how I am.

• I just feel as though what I do struggle with wasn’t really mentioned or spoken about. I know it might sound silly, but the reason why I went for a diagnosis was for validation of my feelings and  experiences I have had and do have. I just wanted there to be an explanation for how I am.

I would write it down.  Organise it and bullet point it.  So that it is clear.  This will help you to get it all out of your head, while it is clear, and so that it isn't going round and round.  

Also, you could continue coming to this forum.  You aren't the only person without a formal diagnosis.

Anything that resonates, you could add to your bullet points.  At some point, when you feel ready, you could go for a second opinion.  Your first assessment wasn't a full assessment.  Take your time.  Your GP sounds good, how about ask her to put you on the waiting list to be seen...that will give you at least 2 years!

A really good podcast for women is 'The Neurodivergent Woman' podcast.  The first couple of episodes go over autism and diagnosis really well.

Personally, the test sounds substandard.  I would have wanted the ADOS test, and to see people in person.  I would say don't look up what the tests are about, or you could end up second guessing, and that can create anxiety.  

The fact you have kept repeating the same things, throughout your post, suggests an inner knowing that 'something is afoot'

We tend to know if we are or not...definitely worth looking into some more, and getting a second, full, assessment.

x

• I have since been so to see a counsellor who has experience with autism and adhd and she was shocked that I haven’t had a diagnosis. She said she could tell within the first 15 minutes of speaking to me that I am neurodiverse because of the way I speak about things and the lack of eye contact etc. She’s going to work with me to gather evidence as she believes I could have both Autism and ADHD and then this will help me to go further if I decide to get a second opinion. She also said that she believes that I mask that much that I mask to myself which is why I may have struggled with giving the answers the assessor may have needed. Seeing the counsellor was really validating for me even after the one session as she was able to understand how I work and she even noticed things that I do that I never realised before.

• I have since been so to see a counsellor who has experience with autism and adhd and she was shocked that I haven’t had a diagnosis. She said she could tell within the first 15 minutes of speaking to me that I am neurodiverse because of the way I speak about things and the lack of eye contact etc. She’s going to work with me to gather evidence as she believes I could have both Autism and ADHD and then this will help me to go further if I decide to get a second opinion. She also said that she believes that I mask that much that I mask to myself which is why I may have struggled with giving the answers the assessor may have needed. Seeing the counsellor was really validating for me even after the one session as she was able to understand how I work and she even noticed things that I do that I never realised before.

Children
No Data