Masking

Hi, my name is Bree.

I'm new here and I would love to ask you about your experiences with masking as an autistic person, especially women and girls.

I mask pretty much whenever I am with any people. This is something I've been noticing more and more ever since I got diagnosed

Parents
  • Bree,

That's a beautiful name by the way.

I'd say masking is a thing for most people but more so for the Autistic community because of the unfair standards society has of people.  I mask things that I know would draw attention to me like whistling, talking to myself and dancing if there's music on. If I'm happy I tend to think "FU** it" and do what makes me happy.  What I find is I notice other people doing similar things which makes me feel better.  I don't tend to dance walking about in a supermarket but I'd love to.  REALLY love to - almost to see what people would do. :-)

I definitely mask my Anxiety all the time because I know some people want to hear "fine" as opposed to "burning inside because of the FU***** light!"  Whoopseeee but sometimes profanities are the only way to accurately describe the intensity of a situation. :-)

Seriously though.  I think folks with mental health conditions and those in the Autistic community do mask much more than people without mhc and particular types of brains.  I have experiences very kind and understanding people who I suspect aren't Autistic because I think we sense each other.  It's like when I look at the types of people I am friends with, we are all so different and drawn to one another because of those differences.  I find quirky people fascinating.  The less quirky, the more I find I have to mask unless I'm on a FU** it day. :-)

• Bree,

That's a beautiful name by the way.

I'd say masking is a thing for most people but more so for the Autistic community because of the unfair standards society has of people.  I mask things that I know would draw attention to me like whistling, talking to myself and dancing if there's music on. If I'm happy I tend to think "FU** it" and do what makes me happy.  What I find is I notice other people doing similar things which makes me feel better.  I don't tend to dance walking about in a supermarket but I'd love to.  REALLY love to - almost to see what people would do. :-)

I definitely mask my Anxiety all the time because I know some people want to hear "fine" as opposed to "burning inside because of the FU***** light!"  Whoopseeee but sometimes profanities are the only way to accurately describe the intensity of a situation. :-)

Seriously though.  I think folks with mental health conditions and those in the Autistic community do mask much more than people without mhc and particular types of brains.  I have experiences very kind and understanding people who I suspect aren't Autistic because I think we sense each other.  It's like when I look at the types of people I am friends with, we are all so different and drawn to one another because of those differences.  I find quirky people fascinating.  The less quirky, the more I find I have to mask unless I'm on a FU** it day. :-)

Children
No Data