Does anyone suffer from bad pmt?

Hi this is a sensitive issue but I would appreciate some advice on the matter. I suffer from bad pmt I get emotional angry and snappy. I also get anxious and impatient and it has put a strain on some friendships which have been resolved luckily. All I want to do is argue with one specific friend and I hate it. I find chocolate helps but i am on a diet right now so I am trying to avoid chocolate. Can anyone share their experiences of pmt and any advice on how I can control it I would really appreciate. Thank you 

• When I was having the injections, I kept to a low carb diet which helped control my weight. 

• I started adding a spoonful of cocoa powder to my breakfast to get the beneficial effects of chocolate without the weight gain. I should note I have oats for breakfast - might be weird with some breakfast food!

• Thanks for your advice not a fan of dark chocolate. I used to have an implant in my arm which really helped but I found it hard to manage my weight with it and I’m trying to lose some belly fat at the moment so I want to avoid that route. 

• Hi Rach

The Depo Provera progesterone injections helped me, although they don't suit everyone. I went on them to stop the extreme pain I was in every month - they stopped that, and also the PMT. They don't suit everyone, but might be worth discussing with your doctor.

And I will also say that dark chocolate is good for you, in small amounts. It is rich in antioxidants, minerals (including iron) and fibre.

• I suffered terribly with it and menopause was such a relief. I used to cycle through a yoyo of emotions every month. I think you should speak to your GP, they are recognising more now how it effects women differently. You maybe offered anti'depressants which might feel dismissive and insulting at first, but it might be worth trying, I rejected them for PMT but then had them for other things and wished I'd taken them sooner because of the positive effects they had on PMT, they didn't take away all the symptoms, but they did feel dialled down a few notches.

The other thing is finding out what your hormones are doing, which ones go up which drop and when. Some women benefit from a small amount of testosterone, some from progesterone. If you have pre-menstral sore boobs, then the chances are that you're ssensitive to progesterone, including your own and anyting that boosts it will make you feel worse not better. This includes things like evening primrose oil as well as hormonal contraceptives.

I did read somewhere once, yers ago, that women should calculate their calorific intake over the course of a month rather than daily or weekly. In the first few days after a period, you will probaly fel more like eating lower calorie foods and fewer carbs, mid month when ovulating you need higher amounts of protein and the last week loads more carbs. Chocolate is OK if you eat small amounts of dark chocolate, try lidls 74% one its under a pound a bar and is lovely, chocolate also contains things you actually need premenstrually and your body is telling you you need to eat chocolate.

This is just my personal experiences and shouldn't be taken as some kind of gospel, but hopefull there are somethings I've said that might resonate.