10 Year Old Daughter Stimming

My daughter has hummed since she was 18 months old now 10 years old. She hums at school, watching tv particularly when she’s doing something she enjoys or when concentrating. We have always thought she would grow out of it, but since her teacher questioned autism a lot of her other behaviours which we put down to ‘just been her’ are looking like she does have autism. And has learnt to mask all these years. We are currently on a waiting list. Just wondering if any other mums had any advice especially to do with the humming? 

• I also used to hum, but other things I pick my lip or ear, twirling my fingers and rocking. I was always shamed for doing these things and it made it only worse and when it was  forbidden to do it I became more nervous and anxious. 

• I've since had sniffing, snorting, tapping, drumming, fidgeting and pulling out my eyelashes.

Me too. Drove my class, teachers and family round the bend. There are worse things than humming.

• Could be worse than humming.

For a few months when I was about 10, I did a high pitched squeak. I've since had sniffing, snorting, tapping, drumming, fidgeting and pulling out my eyelashes.

Course this was the 90's when Autism effectively didn't exist. So my diagnosis was, I was a complete and utter lunatic.

• Hiya,

No advice on the humming, and definitely don't try and prevent her from doing it. Stimming is really important and it isn't a stim that is causing her harm so let her continue with it. If school are aware that she is potentially autistic then they have to put things in place to support her, i.e. letting her hum in class. 

Great news that you are on the waiting list, hopefully you don't have to wait too long. 

Alisha xx

P.S. I've never hummed but do have a stim where I repeatedly say the word "cheese", I like the way it sounds, classmates found that incredibly annoying but they got used to it, it's not doing them any harm. I did my exams in a separate room anyway, so it didn't impact on anyone.

• Let her hum. Stimming is an important way of self regulating and good for our wellbeing so I wouldn’t do anything about it. Is it causing issues at school? Why are you worried about the humming?

It’s good you are getting an assessment for your daughter so that she has more security in terns of being able to get reasonable adjustments at school and also so she can better understand herself.