Using Makeup

I put this in the women and girls section but I'm sure some men and boys use this too - feel free to post guys :) 

Anyways, today I put on some makeup and it was hell! I couldn't stand it for long and had to wash it off as quickly as I could - even now my skin still feels really strange. Guess it'll be like that a while now.

I've never been able to tolerate makeup but thought I'd give it a try today just to see if that's changed. It hadn't :) 

Is anyone else like this?

Parents
  • Luna,

I've tried sooo many different types of makeup in an attempt to look like a prettier version of myself because that's what society promotes.  All of it feels heavy and awful on my skin.  I've not been wearing any for years now and have realised that people accept me and still compliment me.  It's not as important it seems as I thought.  I did used to feel pressure to wear it to be more attractive to others but now I don't which's pretty liberating.  I do wear face paints for events as I'm a trained makeup artist because of the Art aspect of it.  I love painting my daughters face for halloween etc but there's no getting over the fact that all makeup is just chemicals......

Everyones skin is so different that it really is a case of trying things.  I can't tolerate makeup at all so I have learnt to accept my face without.  I think it's a very individual thing as to whether you wear it or not.  I think if it makes you feel good then why not but if it's something to hide behind that you cannot go out without wearing then that's not good....

• I'm sure you're beautiful with and without makeup :) 

I totally get the feeling of it being heavy and awful - that's what it's like for me too. I find it feels sort of sticky and gooy like as well. I used to try to force myself to wear it because I thought I was prettier with it, I've always struggled with how I look and tried lots to combat it. For a short time makeup was the answer but I couldn't keep it up, affected my sensitivity too much.

I don't struggle as much with how I look now. But today I just fancied trying it again but it was no good sadly.

• Luna,

I understand what you mean about wanting to wear it as it can look really artistic and cool if done properly and I find it frustrating that I can't tolerate it because I like to show my artistic side....  I used to wear Dusty Springfield type eyes liner and mascara with clear lip balm.  It was cool but my skin and eyes suffered because basically it's not natural to put chemicals on your face no matter how much they market it as such....  I think there's too much pressure for folks to look and be a certain way (statement of the century especially for Autistics) I wonder if many of the ultimate plastic looking people are Autistic and trying to put on a literal mask to appear like what they think is "sexy"?

• Totally agree with you on so many levels - way too much pressure for people to look and act a certain way. The bar is set impossibly high and people take it so seriously that I think it negatively effects people and makes them sad and feel "ugly".

My mum was a big Dusty Springfield fan. She used to do herself up to look like her, had that beehive hairstyle and everything :) 

• Totally agree with you on so many levels - way too much pressure for people to look and act a certain way. The bar is set impossibly high and people take it so seriously that I think it negatively effects people and makes them sad and feel "ugly".

My mum was a big Dusty Springfield fan. She used to do herself up to look like her, had that beehive hairstyle and everything :) 

Children
No Data