Swearing

Hi everyone! My 6 year old son is asd, and the past couple of weeks he has started swearing a lot. It was just at home, but ow he does it when we are out. It's mostly directed at me, and he is really horrible. I don't know what to do, I try to stay calm, and I have explained that they are grown up words, but each day is getting worse. Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks

Parents
  • Hi, my 6 nearly 7 year old is fascinated with swear words too. I really think it is an age thing and it will pass. My boy started by not saying them, he gets very cross if he hears anyone swear, I have one friend who does it a lot (makes me so cross!) And he said he didn't like her because of it. I have now been told by his brother and cousin that he's said a couple of words so think he testing it a bit. We just say they are "banned words". If he's starting to do it habitually tell him to stop himself straight away or immediately say oops sorry everytime he realises he's said a "banned word".  If he won't apologise (our son doesn't like to) then it's time to sit and think about it for 2 mins away in a quiet area. Massive rewards for when he realises his own mistake should help too. It won't last forever and don't feel the need to apologise to the world when it happens. If you think it's in a rude way in front of others then maybe suggest he apologises to them too. X

• Hi, my 6 nearly 7 year old is fascinated with swear words too. I really think it is an age thing and it will pass. My boy started by not saying them, he gets very cross if he hears anyone swear, I have one friend who does it a lot (makes me so cross!) And he said he didn't like her because of it. I have now been told by his brother and cousin that he's said a couple of words so think he testing it a bit. We just say they are "banned words". If he's starting to do it habitually tell him to stop himself straight away or immediately say oops sorry everytime he realises he's said a "banned word".  If he won't apologise (our son doesn't like to) then it's time to sit and think about it for 2 mins away in a quiet area. Massive rewards for when he realises his own mistake should help too. It won't last forever and don't feel the need to apologise to the world when it happens. If you think it's in a rude way in front of others then maybe suggest he apologises to them too. X

Children
No Data