education

my son was diagnosed last october at the age of 12 (yes it has took us years to get there) anyhow he is now in mainstream highschool and finding it very difficult so attendance sitting at 58%, i am trying to get him in a special school but keep hitting brick walls. he has support in school and teachers saying that he is coping but that is not the impression i am getting from my son. my son is not dissruptive so seems to go under the radar. i am looking for advice as to how i fight this or should i be fighting this. i hope i,m making sense as i am new to this thankyou

• We removed our son from school last year - to Homeschool. He lasted about 5weeks before he finally broke.

It's taken a little time to get him to get into a new routine. We were told, that due to him masking for near on 8 years; he's burned out - so it could take months, if not years for him to adjust.
    However - homeschooling - so far, has made a huge difference and he's like a different person. He, still has his moments though!

I am currently looking into what information was passed where - given my sons Primary school have a file for each child which they pass on to their next school - this contains Attendance/Behaviour records as well as special needs and things to be put in place.
    I have a copy of everything I provied to the school.

It seems this file wasn't passed on, or even not even looked at when he moved school.

• i want to do but currently i'm study in canada [edited by Moderator]

• High quality design, development and marketing packages designed by experts to meet the demands of businesses of all types and sizes. We create apps (Android, iOS, Windows) that are reliably consistent and engaging, keeping on-brand essence as a prime focus. [Edited by Moderator]

• Our youngest Son started Comp in September (2021); we chose the same comp as our Eldest, as it wasn't too crowded and seemed pretty welcoming to children with special needs.

By 2021 - with very minimal transition period for any Children with special needs, who were due to start in September - the school had undergone some serious changes - from the top downwards.
    In came an entire new "management structure", new philosophy, new school rules & regulations (see where this is going?), and also another 200 additional pupils in year 7 too (in 2020 they had taken on 150 additional etc).

Interventions and "strategies" were put in place to support our son, who is diagnosed ASD and has PDA, but masks. Those didn't seem to work.
    Each morning was torture, getting him ready for school, to school - often in a distressed state. We felt guilty having to take him to school in such a distressed state - sending him to the lions den in effect.

At the same time, we tried to work with the School inclusion to make life easier for Him. But were constantly told "We'll deal with it" to the old Threats of referral to the Local Authority, if his attendance fell too low.
    It seemed that many teachers didn't seem to understand Autism or even PDA.

One thing that concerned me, was the new emphasis on punishment for petty things (Detention for not bringing the correct ruler, or pencils to lessons), being forced to wear uniform/tie during hot weather, theatened with detention for simply not understanding homework.

All got too much, and by mid September, roughly 20 days in, we took him out of school, and he is now Home schooled.
    For us, and him,  the best decision we have ever made - as our son is like a different person.He's intelligent, works hard, loves to learn, and also keeps in touch with his handful of close friends.

Home Schooling, was our Plan B, should things not work out in mainstream school - originally, our plan was to give School and the Interventions a chance to work, and look at the plan again around 1/2 term and see how things are going - though we were forced to take decisive action sooner rather than later. School went on to say that they would not back an EHCP, as our son was not disruptive in school.

I understand, For many, Home Schooling isn't an option - and my rambles aren't likely to provide any help, though this was our experience of the "system"!

• #SPAM

Why not make it that new accounts cant post a link for a month?

• During my teenage years I struggled with attendance as well, I did not have any support from my family, and only 1 math teacher was sympathetic. I had straight As, still I had to make deals with teachers to make up for my absences. For example polish literature teacher wanted me to join join school theater to be satisfied. It was possible to make it happen in a non standard way. and I managed to finish ciollege, 

I reckon some override for absences might be neccessary, learning was not a problem for me, so it is possible it will not be a challenge for your son either. We are like sponges when it comes to absorbing data Smiley

• as well as ipsea, which is a charity, you can also get advice from your local Information Advice and Support service http://www.iassnetwork.org.uk/, which is funded by your local authority but set up at arms length and is independent. They can advice you on your rights and options and help you with things like preparing for meetings with school and filling in forms for an EHC plan.

• Hi thomnal,

With an attendance of only 58%, I am shocked that the school can state he is coping...

Do you have an Educational Health Care (EHC) Plan? If not you can see how to get started here https://www.ipsea.org.uk/what-you-need-to-know/ehc-needs-assessments/asking-for-an-ehc-needs-assessment. Is the SENCO at the school currently involved?

Government advice is that education should be inclusive and where possible children with special needs should attend mainstream education. Whether special school will be beneficial will depend on the child and the schools in question.Some mainstream schools can be great for spectrum children, equally some special schools can be poor too.