First violent outburst

Yesterday my 10 year old son had his first violent meltdown which has completely shocked me.  Although he is prone to meltdowns and will bang doors, stamp on the floor and scream at the top of his voice he is never violent. Yesterday after a meltdown I went to speak to him after when I thought he'd calmed down, he obviously hadn't calmed down enough because he launched at me and put his hands around my throat in total rage. His hands were gripped as hard as they could be. It was only for a few seconds and then he let go realising what he'd done and apologised over and over. I wasn't too sure how to handle it, you don't expect your loving little boy to ever hate you so much he'd try and strangle you.

When he'd calmed down I told him that he was banned from all his games consoles indefinitely until I felt he had earned the right to have them back and I told him that I forgave him this time but that I'd never forgive him if he did it again.

I'm worried that he could do it again if I'm not strict enough with him but I'm also worried that if I'm too strict he'll never forgive himself and may become depressed.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation.

Parents
  • I'm so sorry for you. I know only too well what you are going through. I'm seriously considering parting from my husband of 20 years because I just can't take anymore.

Ignoring my husbands violent outbursts only leads him to become more and more violent just to get a reaction from me. But I have limits too. Whilst I understand that he may be simply expressing overload/ distress I am only human and there are limits to my tolerance.

• I'm so sorry for you. I know only too well what you are going through. I'm seriously considering parting from my husband of 20 years because I just can't take anymore.

Ignoring my husbands violent outbursts only leads him to become more and more violent just to get a reaction from me. But I have limits too. Whilst I understand that he may be simply expressing overload/ distress I am only human and there are limits to my tolerance.

Children
No Data