Help considering bedtime?

Hi,

I'm new here; I thought it might be good to have some helpful advice from others!

I'm not a parent, just a 17 year old older sister to a 10 year old ADHD+autistic boy. I love him to bits but recently we've all been going through a hard time.

His behaviour's plummeted recently, and it's making it really difficult for my single mum, and I'm trying to break the problems down one by one, because I want to try to help.

It's not a huge problem, although it's been going on for as long as I can remember by now; but bedtimes are an ordeal most nights. After a particularly difficult (and late consequently) Saturday night recently, my mum got my brothers settled into bed early; around half past seven. But my 10 year old brother was still awake and finding reasons to come downstairs at almost midnight. This happens near enough every night. He struggles so much to get to sleep, and tonight I found that the positive idea of letting him go to sleep with the family dog worked a wonder. He promised he wouldn't come down if he could keep the dog while he was going to sleep, and it worked! They snuggled up together and within fifteen minutes he was fast on.

The reason I've decided to write here is because I know he's got SUCH a short attention span with this sort of thing, it's unlikely that the same thing would be able to happen tomorrow night, without there being a fuss. I was just wondering whether anyone else had any suggestions as to what sort of thing might motivate him to stay in bed and settle down to sleep? Bedtime stories are another big motivator for him, but I feel like only these two solutions wouldn't last very long! I thought I'd ask here whether anyone else has had similar experiences, and how they think me and my mum should go about dealing with it.

:)

Parents
  • Hi Scuttle, it's so kind of you to help your brother like this.  I am the mum of a 12 yo boy with ADHD and Aspergers, who also used to be up all hours - way past midnight and into the small hours.

It was very hard for me to cope with, as I would have to stay up until he fell asleep, otherwise he would get up and wander the house, watch tv (past watershed, so I was not happy at all) and raid the food cupboards.  I was absolutely exhausted.

I discussed the issue with his paediatrician who recommended Bio-Melatonin, which my son now has on repeat prescription.  I was told it is a natural product and not harmful in any way.  The tablets changed our lives completely, he has never struggled to fall asleep since.  Considering he gets up at very early in the mornings and needs to be alert for school, I can say this treatment has been a complete success.

It might be worth your mum discussing this with your brother's GP.

Meantime it sounds as though you are doing the right things, with reading and letting your brother cuddle the dog.  I would make sure he has plenty of books available so that when he can't sleep he can sit up and read.  Good luck!

• Hi Scuttle, it's so kind of you to help your brother like this.  I am the mum of a 12 yo boy with ADHD and Aspergers, who also used to be up all hours - way past midnight and into the small hours.

It was very hard for me to cope with, as I would have to stay up until he fell asleep, otherwise he would get up and wander the house, watch tv (past watershed, so I was not happy at all) and raid the food cupboards.  I was absolutely exhausted.

I discussed the issue with his paediatrician who recommended Bio-Melatonin, which my son now has on repeat prescription.  I was told it is a natural product and not harmful in any way.  The tablets changed our lives completely, he has never struggled to fall asleep since.  Considering he gets up at very early in the mornings and needs to be alert for school, I can say this treatment has been a complete success.

It might be worth your mum discussing this with your brother's GP.

Meantime it sounds as though you are doing the right things, with reading and letting your brother cuddle the dog.  I would make sure he has plenty of books available so that when he can't sleep he can sit up and read.  Good luck!

Children
No Data