Advice for my autistic son

So my son is autistic (I am too btw) and he is currently dealing with a lot of change that he is struggling to process. It's causing him to start becoming irrationally angry and lashing out and shouting about every little thing. 

He has just finished nursery and he is really struggling to process not going back there ever again or seeing his friends there. He is also starting school for the first time in September and is really anxious and struggling to process that change. In addition, I have started working for the first time in 4 months when he is used to having me home all the time which has changed a lot of his usual daily routines

I just want to know 2 things. Firstly, is this normal behaviour for an autistic child facing a lot of change?

Secondly, what can I do to help him process and cope with all the change and manage his emotions better? What techniques or ideas help with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Parents
  • Yes, this is normal behavior, from what I understand at least. Something I wonder about a lot of situations is, what if we look at this in a different light and communicate with the child better? I say it like this because so much of my life I have dictated what will happen for my child but have only as of late come to think, what does my child want? This isn't to say you have not already done this...

In this situation, it will be difficult because the obvious answer is go back to friends. You could try discussing things as if they were an adult. Explain to them that things simply cannot go back to that way because they must go to school and life changes like this. Ask them what you can do to help them cope. Have them be a part of the process of bringing routine back in. You may be surprised at their answers.

I know I have not treated my kids like little adults enough and I'm wishing I had this insight earlier in life...

• Yes, this is normal behavior, from what I understand at least. Something I wonder about a lot of situations is, what if we look at this in a different light and communicate with the child better? I say it like this because so much of my life I have dictated what will happen for my child but have only as of late come to think, what does my child want? This isn't to say you have not already done this...

In this situation, it will be difficult because the obvious answer is go back to friends. You could try discussing things as if they were an adult. Explain to them that things simply cannot go back to that way because they must go to school and life changes like this. Ask them what you can do to help them cope. Have them be a part of the process of bringing routine back in. You may be surprised at their answers.

I know I have not treated my kids like little adults enough and I'm wishing I had this insight earlier in life...

Children
No Data