Differences at home/in school

Hello,

this isn’t really an issue more of a please help me make sense of this, Sometimes my brain works against me and thinks the worst or can’t think of any reason. 

When my son is with me for example we are in the car or going anywhere like shops, a walk, swimming, or his club he wears ear defenders. If our neighbours are in the garden he asks for his ear defenders. At school as soon as he gets into class he takes them off and he doesn’t wear them.

At home we use visuals and a daily planner he will ask what’s next etc and we go through his planner but In school they say oh he doesn’t really bother with visuals. 

If we go to the supermarket he is in his disability buggy but school have taken him to the shops and he’s walked around the store apparently with no issues. 

Injusg don’t get it. I’ve said in the past can you please put his ear defenders on him and they say he doesn’t want them. Now I’m thinking do these people think I’m forcing him to use these things. 

Parents
  • At school as soon as he gets into class he takes them off and he doesn’t wear them.

I think this is because he will want to hear the teacher and also does not want to stand out too much. Elsewhere he will wear them to reduce the load on his senses so he can relax more.

At home we use visuals and a daily planner he will ask what’s next etc and we go through his planner but In school they say oh he doesn’t really bother with visuals. 

I imagine there is less need to track what he has to do at school since the teacher will take care of all this for him.

If we go to the supermarket he is in his disability buggy but school have taken him to the shops and he’s walked around the store apparently with no issues. 

It may be worth trying to wean him off this to see if he has grown beyond the need for it. It may be he felt safe with his teacher and classmates with him yet while with you you are taking care of the shopping and he feels like he is just being dragged along so wants to make it as comfortable as he can.

That would be my thoughts based on what you have written

• At school as soon as he gets into class he takes them off and he doesn’t wear them.

I think this is because he will want to hear the teacher and also does not want to stand out too much. Elsewhere he will wear them to reduce the load on his senses so he can relax more.

I imagine there is less need to track what he has to do at school since the teacher will take care of all this for him.

It may be worth trying to wean him off this to see if he has grown beyond the need for it. It may be he felt safe with his teacher and classmates with him yet while with you you are taking care of the shopping and he feels like he is just being dragged along so wants to make it as comfortable as he can.

That would be my thoughts based on what you have written

Children
No Data