Driving

My daughter, 18, loves driving, but unfortunately her insurance has been cancelled because her blackbox caught her speeding. Now I don't condone the speed she was doing but this road is quiet and it starts off at 50 then goes down to 40. Everyone speeds down there because it is a straight, quiet road and is so hard to stick to the limit. 

She has just paid for a different insurance but is now refusing to drive altogether because of the black box. She says that no one sticks to the limit and where we live it is mainly straight national-speed limit roads with forest on the opposite side. When she does the speed limit she feels so anxious and on edge because she feels pressured by drivers behind her because they try to overtake and make gestures at her. She says she wants a bmw because they "rule the roads" therefore she can stick to the speed limit and think nothing of it.

I personally do not know what to do anymore. Driving makes her happy overall but drivers are knocking her confidence. If anyone has any ideas, please please please let me know. 

Parents
  • Get rid of the black box! 

ONE way I'd consider for my daughter (if she needed it) would be to buy myself a huge classic car that both me and my daughter like, then insure it cheap (last time I used it about 10 years ago my classic 4.0 litre Daimler was 300 quid a year, when my daughters insurance in a non classic tiny car was over a thousand) and put her on the policy as a named driver..

A classic landrover is a traditionally slow vehicle, you can drive those at slow speeds without annoying people. I bought a huge van which I found I was happy to drive slowly in, but the tiny car I usually drive is terryfying to drive at the posted speed limits in some situations. 

I have come to believe that vehicle insurance has morphed into a covert means of controlling the motorists behaviour and even selection of vehicle type, overall, probably to help push us all onto electric vehicles. Not that I mind electric vehicles per-se but curently they are powered by a really nasty and (technically speaking) perfidious lithium battery technolgy, AND becuase of teh way they delievr their power, apparenltly they are hard on their tyres and thus produce more of that environmental impact. 

• Get rid of the black box! 

ONE way I'd consider for my daughter (if she needed it) would be to buy myself a huge classic car that both me and my daughter like, then insure it cheap (last time I used it about 10 years ago my classic 4.0 litre Daimler was 300 quid a year, when my daughters insurance in a non classic tiny car was over a thousand) and put her on the policy as a named driver..

A classic landrover is a traditionally slow vehicle, you can drive those at slow speeds without annoying people. I bought a huge van which I found I was happy to drive slowly in, but the tiny car I usually drive is terryfying to drive at the posted speed limits in some situations. 

I have come to believe that vehicle insurance has morphed into a covert means of controlling the motorists behaviour and even selection of vehicle type, overall, probably to help push us all onto electric vehicles. Not that I mind electric vehicles per-se but curently they are powered by a really nasty and (technically speaking) perfidious lithium battery technolgy, AND becuase of teh way they delievr their power, apparenltly they are hard on their tyres and thus produce more of that environmental impact. 

Children
No Data