15 year old always demanding

Hi all

I need some advice on My daughter who is 15 years old. She is always demanding and telling me what she is doing and never thinks of anything or anyone else but her self. I think she has PDA, I am just struggling on where to go for support. 

Parents
  • I have a 16 year old son with autism and ADHD. He has a need to feel in control so seems demanding and speaks to us often in a way he would speak to his peers. He does not understand that this is a problem. Part of this for your daughter may be also being a teenager and trying to cope with all the changes in her life.

Life may always be challenging. However the main thing that helps for my son is to come to conclusions himself so we try to hint at things he might decide for himself. Regarding chores little by little he does a few things and mostly by reducing the demand. We have learnt to live with celebrating the successes to cope with the rest.  

It can be frustrating when they can't see someone else's perspective, but it may be an inability rather than a choice. However I can see with maturity little things that have changed over the years.

In regard to support, there are parents of children with PDA who blog and there is also a PDA website. Also look for any ways that help you relax even for short periods. In my experience changing expectations and prioritising the most important things helps too. 

• I have a 16 year old son with autism and ADHD. He has a need to feel in control so seems demanding and speaks to us often in a way he would speak to his peers. He does not understand that this is a problem. Part of this for your daughter may be also being a teenager and trying to cope with all the changes in her life.

Life may always be challenging. However the main thing that helps for my son is to come to conclusions himself so we try to hint at things he might decide for himself. Regarding chores little by little he does a few things and mostly by reducing the demand. We have learnt to live with celebrating the successes to cope with the rest.  

It can be frustrating when they can't see someone else's perspective, but it may be an inability rather than a choice. However I can see with maturity little things that have changed over the years.

In regard to support, there are parents of children with PDA who blog and there is also a PDA website. Also look for any ways that help you relax even for short periods. In my experience changing expectations and prioritising the most important things helps too. 

Children
No Data