15 year old always demanding

Hi all

I need some advice on My daughter who is 15 years old. She is always demanding and telling me what she is doing and never thinks of anything or anyone else but her self. I think she has PDA, I am just struggling on where to go for support. 

Parents
  • My Daughter went like that too. I went from loving her company to dreading it.

It seemed to taper off as she exitted her twenties.

She didn't do any harm during this phase, kept out of trouble and drugs etc, Just seemed incredibly self absorbed. 

FORTUNATELY, she's still my daughter, when it got too much to bear I put my feelings of disappointment into humourous complaint or banter, and just waited until she came back to me voluntarily. She leaned far more on my unmentionable ex, and her extended family in that direction, which to be frank was her best option. 

She is doing well, and in both her personal life and her professional life championing neurodiversity. She knows when to bully and when to be kind. I was afraid she'd trun into a monster but I had the preceding years of her life to take comfort form, AND she still waited until she was 18 to get her first tattoo out of respect for my very antipathic attitude. I didn't fill her head wth lies, I told her "how it is" to an extent that horrified the other parents. She didn't need to lie to me, a "Stuff you Dad, I'm doing this" stil didn't mean she'd actually stopped valuing my input, it just meant that if she really needed to not do that thing I needed to play my best cards right now...

Keep talking to her and see if she actually thinks of noting but her self, or if it's just that she isn't thinking much about YOU. IF she's thinking of nothing but herself, see how that's working out for her. In the case of my kid, I wouas alwasy there if stuff ddin't work out for her but she didnt; really need much between 12 and 22 except someone to pay the bills. By accepting this we did retain the right to be included in her life at the level of knowing where she was what she was doing, when she was coming back etc. And we would organise a search if she missed her given time of return, without checking in. It cut both ways.

Just keep the communication open and honest. worked for me. I feel I was "lucky".

• My Daughter went like that too. I went from loving her company to dreading it.

It seemed to taper off as she exitted her twenties.

She didn't do any harm during this phase, kept out of trouble and drugs etc, Just seemed incredibly self absorbed. 

FORTUNATELY, she's still my daughter, when it got too much to bear I put my feelings of disappointment into humourous complaint or banter, and just waited until she came back to me voluntarily. She leaned far more on my unmentionable ex, and her extended family in that direction, which to be frank was her best option. 

She is doing well, and in both her personal life and her professional life championing neurodiversity. She knows when to bully and when to be kind. I was afraid she'd trun into a monster but I had the preceding years of her life to take comfort form, AND she still waited until she was 18 to get her first tattoo out of respect for my very antipathic attitude. I didn't fill her head wth lies, I told her "how it is" to an extent that horrified the other parents. She didn't need to lie to me, a "Stuff you Dad, I'm doing this" stil didn't mean she'd actually stopped valuing my input, it just meant that if she really needed to not do that thing I needed to play my best cards right now...

Keep talking to her and see if she actually thinks of noting but her self, or if it's just that she isn't thinking much about YOU. IF she's thinking of nothing but herself, see how that's working out for her. In the case of my kid, I wouas alwasy there if stuff ddin't work out for her but she didnt; really need much between 12 and 22 except someone to pay the bills. By accepting this we did retain the right to be included in her life at the level of knowing where she was what she was doing, when she was coming back etc. And we would organise a search if she missed her given time of return, without checking in. It cut both ways.

Just keep the communication open and honest. worked for me. I feel I was "lucky".

Children
No Data