Masking

My adult son (28) does not acknowledge his ASD diagnosis (which he has had since age 14) and masks his autism (and his learning disabilities) so well that he has been successful in getting jobs that he is entirely unsuited for. These jobs inevitably end badly as his employers realise his skill set is not what the job requires and/or incidents occur. He has completely unrealistic employment aspirations. Has anyone else had this experience and how can I help him become more realistic about work opportunities and open about his ASD with employers and others?

Parents
  • I'm so sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing with your son. It can be incredibly difficult to see a loved one struggle with their diagnosis, especially when it affects their work and overall well-being.

It sounds like your son is facing a common dilemma that many of us with ASD experience - wanting to fit into the neurotypical world while masking our true selves. It's how so many of us get through life. 

One approach that may be helpful is to have an open and honest conversation with your son about his diagnosis and how it impacts his work. Encourage him to embrace his strengths and be open about his challenges with potential employers.

It may also be beneficial to seek out career counseling or vocational training programs that specialize in supporting individuals with ASD. These resources can help him identify realistic work opportunities that align with his skills and interests, as well as provide guidance on navigating the workplace as someone with ASD.

Remember, it's important to approach this conversation with empathy and understanding. Your son may be feeling overwhelmed or uncertain about how to navigate the challenges he's facing. By offering your support and guidance, you can help him build the confidence and self-awareness needed to succeed in the workplace while staying true to himself.

Good luck! I hope everything works out OK in the end.

Best wishes, 

Rayann x

• I'm so sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing with your son. It can be incredibly difficult to see a loved one struggle with their diagnosis, especially when it affects their work and overall well-being.

It sounds like your son is facing a common dilemma that many of us with ASD experience - wanting to fit into the neurotypical world while masking our true selves. It's how so many of us get through life. 

One approach that may be helpful is to have an open and honest conversation with your son about his diagnosis and how it impacts his work. Encourage him to embrace his strengths and be open about his challenges with potential employers.

It may also be beneficial to seek out career counseling or vocational training programs that specialize in supporting individuals with ASD. These resources can help him identify realistic work opportunities that align with his skills and interests, as well as provide guidance on navigating the workplace as someone with ASD.

Remember, it's important to approach this conversation with empathy and understanding. Your son may be feeling overwhelmed or uncertain about how to navigate the challenges he's facing. By offering your support and guidance, you can help him build the confidence and self-awareness needed to succeed in the workplace while staying true to himself.

Good luck! I hope everything works out OK in the end.

Best wishes, 

Rayann x

Children
No Data