14 years daughter not wanting anyone to see her

Does anyone else have experience of their child hiding in her room and not wanting anyone to see her? She's going through puberty/body changes and I think that's got a lot to do with it. She's as yet undiagnosed (been waiting nearly 2 years for an assessment). She's not attending school. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? Thanks :-)

Parents
  • Yes ..my son 24 however he did what you're saying here when he was a child ..I would strongly recommend that you get some professional help..I know it seems extreme to say that but I say it as at that age when a child they're better able to adjust and with autism being flexible is one of the things they find difficult which they'll find harder as they get older...your child needs to be able to be with others and.have friends it's so important as when young those are the kinds of deep bonds they form with school friends etc and they need those faithful kinds of friends.. especially now as university isn't available to everyone unless they have the money..ie when older if your child can't attend uni or is finding it hard to get a job etc then they'll have no way of making friends..I'm just speaking from experience as I didn't know my son was Autistic until 18 so when he was doing the things you're talk about here nothing was done as I didn't know there was a problem...and now he's a very lonely and isolated young man. Good luck and please try to get your child to a professional no matter how hard it is for them as if you don't it'll just be all the harder later on.ps yes we did CHAMS and it was useless but try anyway or look to go private.

• Yes ..my son 24 however he did what you're saying here when he was a child ..I would strongly recommend that you get some professional help..I know it seems extreme to say that but I say it as at that age when a child they're better able to adjust and with autism being flexible is one of the things they find difficult which they'll find harder as they get older...your child needs to be able to be with others and.have friends it's so important as when young those are the kinds of deep bonds they form with school friends etc and they need those faithful kinds of friends.. especially now as university isn't available to everyone unless they have the money..ie when older if your child can't attend uni or is finding it hard to get a job etc then they'll have no way of making friends..I'm just speaking from experience as I didn't know my son was Autistic until 18 so when he was doing the things you're talk about here nothing was done as I didn't know there was a problem...and now he's a very lonely and isolated young man. Good luck and please try to get your child to a professional no matter how hard it is for them as if you don't it'll just be all the harder later on.ps yes we did CHAMS and it was useless but try anyway or look to go private.

Children
No Data