Sleep or lack of

Hi all, 

I've just hit the end of my tether after 10 years and now I need help. My daughter 10, has always been an awful sleeper and an incredibly light sleeper. This week has broke me a bit so I need some advice or it will get betters. Something. 

I believe she has autism, but we haven't had an official diagnosis (one of her siblings has a diagnosis and sleeps amazingly well).

My 10 year old has only ever slept in ridiculous patterns, like 2 hours at a time. She was baby #1, I thought all children slept like this until I had baby #2. I never understood why other parents weren't as knackered as I was. 

I feel like she forces herself to stay awake on purpose, by watching TV, loud music, or sitting bolt up right in bed. When she finally does sleep it's for very little time. I realised recently how much I almost pander to it, I've always gone bed almost immediately after her as I know she will have me up within the next 2 hours. Again with the forcing herself to stay awake, she will want to chat, and try and get into a whole huge chat about things she knows we would have to look into. I give her plenty of time and opportunity to talk to me( somedays she does so the whole, need water or food, toilet, feel poorly, bedtime faking routine). I'm so over it. She's so difficult to awaken in the morning and nearly late everyday.  

Last night she has me up 3 times. What can I do to help her get a better night's sleep? 

Parents
  • Melatonin in the body is responsible for our sleep. In the evening when it starts to get dull, we begin to produce melatonin. When it is dark, we produce lots of melatonin to make us go to sleep and stay asleep. It cannot decipher between natural light and artificial light, however - hence why professionals now say no technology at least an hour, but preferably 2 hours before bedtime. 

Cortisol is the stress hormone (along with having other roles). It works opposite to melatonin. We produce more of this during the day, especially in the morning, which helps to wake us. Interestingly, Neurodivergent people typically have higher levels of cortisol and therefore lower levels of melatonin. That is why so many ND people find it difficult to sleep, stay asleep or they awake very early - or a mix of these, or all three! 

Reducing cortisol through regular exercise can help tremendously. It works to reduce your cortisol levels after time - that's why you shouldn't exercise just before bed, because it actually raises your cortisol levels temporarily. However, by reducing cortisol with exercise, let's say an hour after teatime but at least an hour before bedtime, this can help significantly with sleep. It also releases 'feel-good' hormones, which have huge benefits.
    Exercise can be anything - a fun game in the garden, walking the dog, going for a bike ride, dancing to music, following an exercise routine on a device with the blue light turned off, running, power walking, swimming - the list is endless.  

You could increase melatonin naturally in her diet. Camomile (such as camomile tea) and cherries have lots of melatonin in them, and saffron contains melatonin (along with other benefits). Regular exposure to the sun also helps increase melatonin.

I am aware that Magnesium aids sleep (along with other benefits for the brain). Although, any supplements you look into, do conduct your own research and consult a pharmacist or GP to ensure these are suitable for her age and development and that you use the correct dosage - again, consult a health professional FIRST.

If she doesn't have a varied diet, like so many ND children don't, due to their hyposensitivities and hypersensitivities, consider children's multivitamins to ensure she is getting the right vitamins and minerals for her growing body. There are so many available - a pharmacist can always help to advise which would be suitable for her.  

Have you tried...
    Weighted blankets or teddies?
    White noise?
    Audiobooks?
    Relaxation music, such as sounds of the ocean, thunderstorms or rainfall?
    Guided sleep or meditation (audio)?
    Good 'sleep hygiene' and routines *may* help, although they may not. I.e. no technology at least an hour before bed, the bedroom being only for sleeping in and the room being calm and clutter free, a clear routine (you could use a visual aid if this helps)...
    Mindfulness activities before bed, as opposed to anything over-stimulating?

Darkness helps with sleep, but if she can't tolerate the dark, you could use a dim, soft lighting which is directed away from her bed and perhaps slowly move it further away?
    Blackout curtains?

Pillow sprays with lavender?
    Essential oils such as lavender and camomile - perhaps in the bath (if she can tolerate baths) a short while before bed?

A fan oscillating in the room for a constant noise? - One of my daughters sleeps all year round with a fan, as this is the only thing which she is able to get to sleep with.

Have you tried, as part of your evening routine, before bed and probably best to do it away from her bedroom, 'worry time' - so, a set time before bed that you both sit down and you can listen to any worries or questions she may have and want answering - anything you can't answer, you could write them down together and find out about them the next day. My son was terrible for always over-thinking and NEEDING to have answers to questions - so if I didn't know the answer or I couldn't find it out quickly enough, we would write it down and find out for him before he went to school the next day. 

Other things to avoid...
    Anything with caffeine after lunchtime as it has a half life of somewhere around 5 hours (if my memory serves me right?!).
    Refined sugars, especially after school hours.

Have you asked your GP or consultant for help with her sleep?
    NANSA run a sleep service - depending upon where you are in the country, but there are others out there - you could ask your school nursing team or health visitor for older children, or services for children and young people in your local area for advice and support?

Also, try to make time for yourself - it's important that you get some time for yourself to recharge, so that you can keep supporting your children. Even if it's just 15 minutes a day, it can help you. If you have a good support network, can someone give you an afternoon or evening off? 

It is a minefield with sleep for our ND children, but I wish you all the best - it is just finding something that works for your daughter and your whole family. I understand sleep deprivation, as I am up and down through the night with the care needs of my children. It makes you feel like you are coming to the end of your tether. Be kind to yourself, though, and get as much support as you can with this - sleep deprivation is one of the worst things for us to suffer from.

Keep your chin up, Mama! You're doing an AMAZING job!!

• Melatonin in the body is responsible for our sleep. In the evening when it starts to get dull, we begin to produce melatonin. When it is dark, we produce lots of melatonin to make us go to sleep and stay asleep. It cannot decipher between natural light and artificial light, however - hence why professionals now say no technology at least an hour, but preferably 2 hours before bedtime. 

Cortisol is the stress hormone (along with having other roles). It works opposite to melatonin. We produce more of this during the day, especially in the morning, which helps to wake us. Interestingly, Neurodivergent people typically have higher levels of cortisol and therefore lower levels of melatonin. That is why so many ND people find it difficult to sleep, stay asleep or they awake very early - or a mix of these, or all three! 

Reducing cortisol through regular exercise can help tremendously. It works to reduce your cortisol levels after time - that's why you shouldn't exercise just before bed, because it actually raises your cortisol levels temporarily. However, by reducing cortisol with exercise, let's say an hour after teatime but at least an hour before bedtime, this can help significantly with sleep. It also releases 'feel-good' hormones, which have huge benefits.
    Exercise can be anything - a fun game in the garden, walking the dog, going for a bike ride, dancing to music, following an exercise routine on a device with the blue light turned off, running, power walking, swimming - the list is endless.  

You could increase melatonin naturally in her diet. Camomile (such as camomile tea) and cherries have lots of melatonin in them, and saffron contains melatonin (along with other benefits). Regular exposure to the sun also helps increase melatonin.

I am aware that Magnesium aids sleep (along with other benefits for the brain). Although, any supplements you look into, do conduct your own research and consult a pharmacist or GP to ensure these are suitable for her age and development and that you use the correct dosage - again, consult a health professional FIRST.

If she doesn't have a varied diet, like so many ND children don't, due to their hyposensitivities and hypersensitivities, consider children's multivitamins to ensure she is getting the right vitamins and minerals for her growing body. There are so many available - a pharmacist can always help to advise which would be suitable for her.  

Have you tried...
    Weighted blankets or teddies?
    White noise?
    Audiobooks?
    Relaxation music, such as sounds of the ocean, thunderstorms or rainfall?
    Guided sleep or meditation (audio)?
    Good 'sleep hygiene' and routines *may* help, although they may not. I.e. no technology at least an hour before bed, the bedroom being only for sleeping in and the room being calm and clutter free, a clear routine (you could use a visual aid if this helps)...
    Mindfulness activities before bed, as opposed to anything over-stimulating?

Darkness helps with sleep, but if she can't tolerate the dark, you could use a dim, soft lighting which is directed away from her bed and perhaps slowly move it further away?
    Blackout curtains?

Pillow sprays with lavender?
    Essential oils such as lavender and camomile - perhaps in the bath (if she can tolerate baths) a short while before bed?

A fan oscillating in the room for a constant noise? - One of my daughters sleeps all year round with a fan, as this is the only thing which she is able to get to sleep with.

Have you tried, as part of your evening routine, before bed and probably best to do it away from her bedroom, 'worry time' - so, a set time before bed that you both sit down and you can listen to any worries or questions she may have and want answering - anything you can't answer, you could write them down together and find out about them the next day. My son was terrible for always over-thinking and NEEDING to have answers to questions - so if I didn't know the answer or I couldn't find it out quickly enough, we would write it down and find out for him before he went to school the next day. 

Other things to avoid...
    Anything with caffeine after lunchtime as it has a half life of somewhere around 5 hours (if my memory serves me right?!).
    Refined sugars, especially after school hours.

Have you asked your GP or consultant for help with her sleep?
    NANSA run a sleep service - depending upon where you are in the country, but there are others out there - you could ask your school nursing team or health visitor for older children, or services for children and young people in your local area for advice and support?

Also, try to make time for yourself - it's important that you get some time for yourself to recharge, so that you can keep supporting your children. Even if it's just 15 minutes a day, it can help you. If you have a good support network, can someone give you an afternoon or evening off? 

It is a minefield with sleep for our ND children, but I wish you all the best - it is just finding something that works for your daughter and your whole family. I understand sleep deprivation, as I am up and down through the night with the care needs of my children. It makes you feel like you are coming to the end of your tether. Be kind to yourself, though, and get as much support as you can with this - sleep deprivation is one of the worst things for us to suffer from.

Keep your chin up, Mama! You're doing an AMAZING job!!

Children
No Data