A formal shirt that's not a sensory nightmare???

Hi, 

Does anyone have any recommendations where in the UK to buy a button-down white business/formal shirt that's comfortable for someone with sensory issues to wear? I can stand most casual shirt fabrics, just not the type usually found in formal wear - e.g. thick cotton, stiff starchy collars, etc. I expect something very lightweight would do. I also have the problem of having quite a broad chest, so shirts often come up short on the arms. So, I also need a longer sleeve to reach beyond the cuff of a suit.

I've looked everywhere, but nothing fits the bill. Any advice is welcome!

Parents
  • Weird suggestion, but maybe try second hand? Formal dress shirts are kind of like Doc Martens, they need to be "broken in" before they start being comfortable to wear. If you buy a pre-loved, pre-worn shirt and toss it in the wash then it may be what you're looking for? I've found the tightness and stiffness of shirts goes away through wear so as long as you can find a shirt in your desired size/material you might have a better shot? Plus it'll be cheaper and more sustainable! I'd recommend Depop or Vinted :]

• Weird suggestion, but maybe try second hand? Formal dress shirts are kind of like Doc Martens, they need to be "broken in" before they start being comfortable to wear. If you buy a pre-loved, pre-worn shirt and toss it in the wash then it may be what you're looking for? I've found the tightness and stiffness of shirts goes away through wear so as long as you can find a shirt in your desired size/material you might have a better shot? Plus it'll be cheaper and more sustainable! I'd recommend Depop or Vinted :]

Children
No Data